Unable to see drives in GUI

apattyn

Cadet

Specs​

Drive Enclosure: Yottamaster 5 Bay
Drives: 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB m2 SSD, {1x Ironwolf 12TB HDD, 4x WP Arsenal 12TB HDD} => for enclosure
Computer: NUC8i3BEH

Problem​

I am having issues seeing my 5x 12TB drives in the GUI of TrueNAS Scale - in create pool, disk, etc. Going to the shell and running `lsblk` shows me all my drives (7 in total), but in the GUI I only see three - the SSDs and the last 12TB drive in the enclosure (`/dev/sdg`). If I turn off the drive enclosure and turn it back on I can see the GUI cycling through the HDDs. So I will see `sdc` which is then replaced by `sdd`, etc.

What I have tried​

Since I can see them all in the shell I can use `zpool` to make a pool with all the HDDs in RAIDZ2, but then running `zpool export ...` and `zpool import ...` don't have any affect in the GUI.

I can confirm if I plug the enclosure into my Fedora desktop they all show up as "Generic Drives" in Gnome Disk and I can write to/format them. So they are clearly working, therefore I believe this is just an issue with the GUI of TrueNAS scale...

Goal​

My end goal is to have the 5x HDDs in RAIDZ2 and use the 1TB SSD as a cache drive.

Alecmascot

Guru
This is a typical issue with USB attached chassis and why they are not recommended for use with ZFS.
Lots of more info in the forum.

apattyn

Cadet
Not so sure its a USB enclosure issue, especially if I can create a pool via cli. Seems to be the GUI just not showing the same info as `lsblk`.

Should also add I've previously used this enclosure with only a single 1 TB HDD in mirror with the m2 SSD.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
its a USB enclosure issue,

USB enclosures typically cheat on the details, such as making all the drives show up as the same identifier. TrueNAS sees these as all being the same disk. It's the USB enclosure that's defective, even if you can find ways around it. USB disk attachment isn't actually supported, and there are several variations on this problem, so you're advised not to do it, and if you do press forward, expect that there could be problems with things like failed disk replacements in the future.

NugentS

MVP
Also, the 1TB cache as I say quite often isn't what you think it is and won't work they way you think it will work (probably)

apattyn

Cadet
Also, the 1TB cache as I say quite often isn't what you think it is and won't work they way you think it will work (probably)
Yeah I was hoping to use it as a write cache, but it seems that is not really its use case.

peteseidler

Cadet
Having the same struggle. Disk was first available and part of a pool. I've exported/deleted the pool and now I cannot see the disks in the WebUI. fdisk and lsblk etc. is showing the respective disk with no issues. Tried to clean the partition information and reboot. No success though.