TrueNAS Scale doesn't show up all disk in a USB enclosure with different SN

Jobber

Cadet
Hi everyone, before I post this thread, I've searched the forum and Google. There are many similar problem like me except in my case, disks have different and correct SN.

Detail
0. I'm using a 5-disk USB enclosure with my mini pc(I want to build an ITX setup but it's too expensive and power-comsuming compare to an N305 mini pc with UHD770)
1. GUI is showing one of five disk only, and the SN doesn't belong to any drive
2. on shell,
Code:
lsblk
gives all disk and
Code:
smartctl
shows every disk has its own unique Serial Number.

All my search result tell me that it's the same SN that causing the issue, but in my case, it's not.
My guest is that TrueNAS is reading the enclosure's serial number rather than the disk's serial number. I know I can create the pool and import it using zpool command, but that will be the last choice since all other operation in GUI depends on SN(for example, replace a broken disk) and I have to do them in shell.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
It is not at all recommended to use such a USB enclosure and I can relate that from personal experience, it will not go well for you if you do it.

These may help to convince you, but I will be clear, Don't do it:

USB in general:

Port Multipliers (which is what you're running in that enclosure):

Jobber

Cadet
It is not at all recommended to use such a USB enclosure and I can relate that from personal experience, it will not go well for you if you do it.

These may help to convince you, but I will be clear, Don't do it:

USB in general:

Port Multipliers (which is what you're running in that enclosure):
Thanks for the reply, and yes I know a extenal USB Enclosure is the worst way to setup a NAS. I've searched the forum and Google, only missing the disk recognize problem.

The reason I choose this kind of setup is:
1. I couldn't find a dual 2.5G ITX motherboard 12/13th. Because I need SR-IOV for vGPU, and my favorite chasis only support ITX and has only one half-height PCIE slot which I have to use for PCIE-SATA card. Other chasis may be good, but not from a big company, so its quality and robust and statbility and customer service is a big question mark.
2. My budget is tight, building an ITX setup will cost around $200 more. And I'm in China, that means nearly 1/5 of my monthly saved money(salary reduced by rent/food etc.)

But after digging this problem I found that there's no way to properly set this USB enclosure to work, so I've decided to refund/resell the part and go buy a ITX setup instead.

sretalla