Migrating from Unraid

Valiran

Cadet
Hello all!

There we are. I plan to migrate from Unraid to TrueNas Scale.

What I do with Unraid:
- 1 VM for gaming
- 1 VM with XPenology
- 1 VM for Octoprint
- 3 dockers: Plex server with HW transcode / Tautulli / Transmission

My hardware is:
- Aorus Master sTRX40
- Threaripper 3960x
- 48GB Ram
- 1 nvme (passed throught to my gaming vm)
- 1 nvme + 1 ssd sata for Unraid (storage for the dockers, the vms and files related to like iso or drivers)
- 1 Quadro P2200 (for Plex transcode) + 1 RTX3080 (for Gaming VM)
- 5x 12TB SATA IronWolf + 1 x 18TB Seagate Exos x18 (in replacement of a died 12TB ;_;) => passed throught XPenology, 57% free, only for plex libraries + timemachine once a day and photo backup
- 1x Broadcom SAS 9207-8l where all my SATA hdd are

Does my Hardware configuration fits, driver wise?

big thanks everybody !

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Why do you want to migrate? TrueNAS and ZFS is pretty different from UnRAID in a number of ways, so that isn't necessarily a "natural" path. Therefore your motivation will help us to give better advice.

ZFS has a learning curve and many documents have been created to help explain things, also for TrueNAS. Please have a look at the recommended readings in my signature. They will give you a better understanding and also help in asking good questions.

Valiran

Cadet
I want to migrate because I'm not satisfied by the NAS-side of Unraid, that's why I've a Xpenology VM, but Xpenology is what it is, It never sleep, so HDD are always spinning, CPU stuck @ 3,8Ghz, and power consumption is way to insane when it does nothing :)

So TrueNas Scale was I believe a good choice. I keep the Docker and VM ability, and I have a real NAS-system.

Valiran

Cadet
Ok, so i've read the "Freenas Guide", and TrueNas is not for me. I want to leave Synology sphere because for the moment I'm captive with SHR and XPenology is great but things like HDD hibernation doesn't work, but TrueNAS is "another prison" with ZFS and waaaayyyyy to complicated just for Plex LIbraries and 3/4 other things :) . I will stuck with my emulated Synology until I find a good offer on a real Synology :)

Thanks for everything!

danb35

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS is "another prison" with ZFS
I'm not trying to talk you into TrueNAS--I suspect you're right that it isn't really for you--but ZFS is hardly comparable to whatever abomination Synology came up with btrfs and LVM. You can use ZFS with most flavors of Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, any of the Solaris variants--really, just about anything but Windows. So it doesn't in any way lock your data into TrueNAS.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ok, so i've read the "Freenas Guide", and TrueNas is not for me. I want to leave Synology sphere because for the moment I'm captive with SHR and XPenology is great but things like HDD hibernation doesn't work, but TrueNAS is "another prison" with ZFS and waaaayyyyy to complicated just for Plex LIbraries and 3/4 other things :) . I will stuck with my emulated Synology until I find a good offer on a real Synology :)

Thanks for everything!
Well, to each their own. I'm quite happy to be stuck in a "prison" that constantly feeds me, lets me watch TV, notifies me if I need anything as minute as clipping my nails, AND clips my nails for me automatically without me telling it to do so, along with other luxuries. After using ZFS for the last 11 years or so when I first got introduced to TrueNAS (then FreeNAS), I can't ever see myself not using ZFS.

If it is a prison, this prison is better than my actual house.

Arwen

MVP
To the original poster, ZFS is not a "prison". But you are right, ZFS is not made for everyone. It's original design was for hard core server hardware, (by Sun Microsystems). Many casual users find that TrueNAS, (also made for server hardware and enterprise use), does not have the feature set desired. Like spinning down disks.

Good luck.

Valiran

Cadet
I called it a "prison" because it seem that when you are in, it's hard to get out without loos of data or massive storage outside :)

garm

Wizard
you put your data on LVM or the Synology monstrosity you are not "migrating" any data either.. once you pick a filesystem you are kind of stuck regardless

Whattteva

Wizard
you put your data on LVM or the Synology monstrosity you are not "migrating" any data either.. once you pick a filesystem you are kind of stuck regardless
This is true. About the only thing that would fit OP's requirement of being not a "prison" are NTFS or FAT32 due to wide support across all OS's. But everything besides those two are basically all prisons.

Valiran

Cadet
Hello All!

Finally, I'm going to give a chance to TrueNAS Scale, but...

I that OK to virtualize TrueNAS, migrate my DATA from my Unraid Array, and then install on baremetal and have my data in place? My HDD are connected to a HBA card that will be passed throught the virtualized TrueNAS and then the same card will stay in place so in my opinion, there shouldn't be any issues?