Moving from Unraid to TrueNAS - pool advice needed

lcasale

Cadet
I'm upgrading my self built NAS to a Dell R730xd and making the move from Unraid to TrueNAS (virtualized in Proxmox). Currently I have 40TB of useable storage (5x 10TB) and looking to get a little more. Also I plan to centralize my Proxmox cluster VM storage. Ultimately, my main objectives are to improve stability and increase storage with increasing performance as a secondary goal. I've been researching the last few weeks searching through the forum and reading articles like this and this. I still have a lot to learn but here's what I'm thinking...

Pool 1 - used for Proxmox VMs
  • Option 1
    • mirror vdev1 - 2x Samsung PM983 960GB NVME
    • mirror vdev2 - 2x Samsung PM983 960GB NVME
  • Option 2
    • mirror vdev1 - 2x Toshiba 1.92TB SSD SAS12G
Pool 2 - used for storage (GoPro footage, nextcloud storage, VM backups, etc)
  • 6-Wide Z2 - 6x 18TB+ spinning rust which nets to 65TB+ of usable storage depending on size

Some other details on the environment...
  • Servers using this as storage (both Pool 1 and Pool 2) are connected 10Gbe
  • Most other clients will be using Pool 2 will are mainly 1Gbe with plans to upgrade to either 2.5Gbe or 10Gbe in the future

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Pool 1 hardware and will probably search for deals to eventually build Pool 2. So my questions are...
  1. Which is preferred option for Pool 1? I'm open to adding a second identical vdev for option 2 eventually.
  2. Does pool 2 look good? Or should I aim to have more, smaller disks with more vdevs to achieve similar capacity?
  3. Should I look at getting a SLOG for Pool 2? If so, how big should it be?

Thanks!

sretalla