Unable to cast Plex to Android TV

J4y1900@

Cadet
Hello again,

I was able to setup Plex on my TrueNAS 12.0-U8, It was not straight forward but with trials and errors I get my media uploaded and ready. ( i had to use the USB trick, attached a USB drive with my media in it, then click import from the truenas UI. A lot faster than copying over the network, But the issue with that is that the media folder doesnt show in Truenas UI, only in file explorer).

One of the major issue I still have is to cast to my Sony Android TV. The funny part was that when I click on cast from Plex web interface, I would receive an error about secure connection. then when I login with https:// I then my media is no where to be found. so it's kind of a dog chasing his tell.

I search online and I got it fixed by going to Setting > Network > (show advance) > secure connections > and choosing required.
My issue now is when I cast from my web browser (PC Win11). I keep getting stuck on "loading" and then "Sorry, something is wrong". I rebooted treunas, TV router and PC.

Am I missing a step somewhere? How do I cast to my smart TV?
Thanks

Bikerchris

Patron
I'm just wondering, but did you try plex using a web browser, before going on to the Sony Android TV you have?

Did you also use the Mount Point facility within the plugin?

I would suggest at least copying one file off the USB drive and onto internal drive hardware, get the very basics working first.

I setup and used Plex via a Nvidia Shield and that worked flawlessly, but I didn't use the USB Drive import method, I did it using conventional methods that were proven to work.

I hope that helps.

J4y1900@

Cadet
Hi @Bikerchris Thanks for your response.
I do have Plex web browser working. I can watch media on my PC and my laptop. But once I click on cast from my browser that's when I receive the error that something is wrong.

I am starting to think that it could be something to do with my DDWRT router. The reason I think of that is Kodi and X-plore (apps installed on Sony Android TV) are not able to see my shares.
I will need to work on my router 1st but I am open for any troubleshooting as I wont time to work on until a week from today

Bikerchris

Patron
No problem @J4y1900@

Well that's a good start. I do keep thinking that I had issues with casting from a browser. Have you tried casting from mobile phone?

J4y1900@

Cadet
Well, I disconnected my TrueNAS from the router (DDWRT). then I connected it my second router (Netgear without internet). The stock router has default setting except username and pass. Voila! My TV was able to access my media using file explorer.

Removed Plex from TrueNAS and TV and I am satisfied with my setup.

Bikerchris

Patron
Well, I disconnected my TrueNAS from the router (DDWRT). then I connected it my second router (Netgear without internet). The stock router has default setting except username and pass. Voila! My TV was able to access my media using file explorer.

Removed Plex from TrueNAS and TV and I am satisfied with my setup.
Very glad you found the issue.