Plex media server on TrueNAS can I record live UK TV from my Sony Android TV that has PLex app

StanTheMa

Dabbler
HI Samuel et al

Frustrated by a HDD connected to my Sony Android TV which allows me to record live TV (in UK on OTA antenna broadcasts). This is fine when working but often the HDD freezes out the TV missus complained t'other day as it was locked on GB News and she couldnt even switch the TV off!!!

You have to to power off the usb HDD then the TV works again. I surmise that the HDD gets too hot, OR , the TV checks the disc encryption and there is a power spike and auth locks up - total guesses obviously.

Anyway this has spurred me to allow my TrueNAS core to store live TV recordings (I used to use Windows Storage Spaces Home server with some foxy named decryption software which I think is defunct now).

Soooooo it looks like I can use Plex media server plugin on a TrueNAS Jail pay for plexipass £35 a year? then I could record live TV possibly :-

TV has a plex client app

DO I need homerunHD tuner or can I use Xbox or Playstation or Kodi droid box?

Too many factors - seems like the copyright people have made the legal ability to store my own TV recordings to view later as in the good ol days of VCRs very difficult and I expect their measures are trite for the torrent sharers who are happily breaking any such constraints!!

Any advice from actual users really welcome cos I am sick of half measures,

Yours aye

kherr

Explorer
I use the (2)HDHR boxes (6 tuners total) and app ($35/year) to schedule/record. It is much better than the Plex tv app IMHO .....

From there I just point to the HDHR directory from Plex (Plex Pass - Lifetime $100 about 5 years ago). Both run as jails on my TN server. I've been doing this for some 2 years and have multitudes of recordings. The previous 4 years HDHR was running on a Qnap server.

In the U.S. anyway ... you can download from certain streaming services and record it ... PlayOn is the app ($38/year). Good for programing on those services which have many older shows loooooong gone.

AFA legal ..... nobody is going to know or care as long as you keep it for personal use ...

Last edited:

StanTheMa

Dabbler
Many thanks kherr,

Sounds like your experience is a vote for the homerunHD tuner with Plex pass and Plex Media Server in an iocage jail on my TrueNAS. I may try to revive a fanless pc I had that has 2x tvtuner cards but setting that up was also awkward, but I'd rather not create more waste. If it works OK else I'll buy the homerunHD tuner.

Anyone else in uk had pleasant experience with homerunHD tuner and record live UK TV?

Asking as these things always seem to change their company legal agreements with broadcast authorities and leave the poor consumer up the swannee when they no longer work?

Thanks again kherr

StanTheMan