Trying out Transmission plugin .. stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterWeyland

Dabbler
New to using FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Installed latest stable release of FreeNAS to an SSD.
Striped 4 disks + extra SSD for cache (performance is fantastic & yes I know it requires UPS + backup routine).
Threw a couple of Tb of files on the Volume & created datasets matching my data.
Created SMB share & configured FTP.
Fine.

Trying the Transmission plugin as a first test of plugins - get permission denied error when adding a torrent to download.

The FreeNAS manual say's select plugin, click install and.... nothing more...
Poking around I see a 'Jail' for transmission, selected it & tried to choose source/destination without really understanding what it is exactly referring to.
After some unsuccessful trial & error I hit the search engines & found hundreds of line of terminalFU from 4 years ago... hmmmm...

Is there a clearly documented procedure for installing/configuring plugins that doesn't involve hundreds of lines of shell?
Do these plugins such as Transmission actually work at all?

Lost....

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
hundreds of lines of shell?
There is no time like the present to learn! the basics aren't bad and were not asking you to learn windows cli or powershell. ;)

Each plugin will have its own needs. In the case of Transmission, you need to provide access to the storage for the jail and ensure it has permission to write files. from the GUI you can follow the official FreeNAS Doc - Adding Storage (for jails).
The source will be the /mnt/pool/dataset/folder you want your downloads to go to. For me that ends up being /mnt/data/Downloads/torrents/.
The destination will be the location inside the jail. Jails have there own root, its ALMOST like a separate instance of FreeBSD but they share a bunch of stuff. In my case I used /mnt/torrents. I like to keep all of my mounts in the mnt folder and when sharing storage with jails, I like to match the folder names just to keep it organized. Another thing to point out is that you can configure the Transmission download folder to anywhere inside your jail from the Transmission webUI.

From here it's just a matter of the permissions. for this section I'll not reinvent the wheel (pun intended) and point out his great thread on Giving Plugins Write Permissions to Your Data. Yes there will be some CLI-fu that can all be done from the webUI Shell (Pro tip: On the Shell window in the lower left corner set the console size to 132x50). Feel free to ask questions as they come up.

PeterWeyland

Dabbler
Fantastic! This clarifies this a lot.
I'll go hit this again tomorrow and let you know my progress.
Cheers!

PeterWeyland

Dabbler
Success :)
My problem was understanding the jail storage terminology.
No permissions fiddling needed.

'Source' is the destination in your dataset o_O
'Destination' is the destination within your Jail.
(I interpret this to mean 'Source' is a symlink to the Jail location of the data)
Last step is to give open the Transmission GUI & tell it where you want the torrents to be downloaded : Using the above example I specified the location within the Jail e.g. /mnt/torrents. Hope this is correct?

Next up, Emby & we're done.

Thank you again for clarifying this kdragon75.

Status
Not open for further replies.