Transmission - Permission Denied...

Status
Not open for further replies.

screeny

Dabbler
Dear All,

I'm newbie in Freenas world so please apologize for my stupid questions.

In December I built an old PC to NAS running under FreeNAS from USB stick.
5,75TB on 4 storage. We have photography as profession so we have approx. 1,5M. photo on these storages.
I invested to change all low cross section hardware in my network to upgrade to Gbit.
Everything is fine and I'm really satisfied with.

Now after one month "trial" I decided to improve with "luxury" functions.

First is Transmission which installed into jail.
Setup and not running. I don't need another plugin usually connected to Transmission (Couch, etc.) because I'd like to add torrent files manually. Just download the added files to the necessary folder.
I figured out there're two way that's fit for me.
Upload torrent on Transmission's webGUI or create a "watch" directory for transmission and setup a cron job to run mapping in watch folder. This option is much more difficult but maybe not impossible.

I read a lot of about plugins.

First question is:
How can I setup the plugin properly to start download and avoid this "Permission denied..." issue?
I have only one user over all Freenas (of course except root).
UID: example
GID: nogroup
This set for everything (storage/jail etc.).

Or do I need to change transmission (if yes/how) basic UID/GID is config file? As I checked when I install the plugin transmission setup auth. as itself.

Thanks in advance!

marcevan

Patron
One thing you cannot do is make the jail storage (in storage, view) owned by guest/guest and apply it reciprocally. It will complain of unprotected config and shut down.

By default your plugins run as root/wheel (user/group) so what I've done is after adding the storages to each, I chmod 777 the storage directories...it's helping so far.

screeny

Dabbler
Hi marcevan,

thank you. I solved this problem and now working perfect. :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
One thing you cannot do is make the jail storage (in storage, view) owned by guest/guest and apply it reciprocally. It will complain of unprotected config and shut down.

By default your plugins run as root/wheel (user/group) so what I've done is after adding the storages to each, I chmod 777 the storage directories...it's helping so far.
plugins don't run as root by default.

marcevan

Patron
Plugin datasets are permissioned as root/wheel by default.

What they run as is of little consequence.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Plugin datasets are permissioned as root/wheel by default.

What they run as is of little consequence.
what they run as has consequence if you limit read/write permissions to datasets/folders to owner or group users only.

marcevan

Patron
Yes, if you do some limitations then who they run on is consequential; if you do CIFS to Windows with no passwords then as most people I've coached do guest/guest with open permisisons on their content, it's of little consequence.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, if you do some limitations then who they run on is consequential; if you do CIFS to Windows with no passwords then as most people I've coached do guest/guest with open permisisons on their content, it's of little consequence.
I see. I don't use cifs on freenas, but I know there's a 'force user' option I've used before. If it's available in freenas people could force cifs to use the same user as the owner of the dataset/files.

Status
Not open for further replies.