Truenas12x - Slow smb browsing !?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Dear all,

With Truenas12U1 I do experience a very slow browsing performance and Windows 10 clients genarate insanely traffic while simply browsing the smb shares + The explorer crashed quiet often.

Especially for vpn users it makes it nearly impossible to work ;-(

The dataset for my share data is smb share type and the share has default share parameters with ACLs

Should I give these settings a try and is it still safe to use on Truenas12x ?
ea support = no
store dos attributes = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no

Any hints and tips are appreciated !

Last edited:

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Additionally is somebody able to clarify if the default indexing setting on Windows has a bad inpact on performanance as well ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 22.09.17.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 22.09.17.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 305

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I don't have the indexing option available on my Windows 10 20H2 client, and I don't experience this issue in my environment. However, having the desktops index the server is a very bad idea.

Also, with TrueNAS 12.0U1, the proper way to map those DOS attributes is by adding "ixnas:dosattrib_xattr=true" into the share's Auxiliary Parameters, and then restarting the SMB service.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Well, the indexing option seems to be default on windows 10 pro !

To aim browsing performance should'nt it be "ixnas:dosattrib_xattr=false" ?

Samuel Tai

Well, the indexing option seems to be default on windows 10 pro !

Interesting. I'm running Pro as well, and I don't see that option. Have you configured the Indexing Options control panel to index network shares?

To aim browsing performance should'nt it be "ixnas:dosattrib_xattr=false" ?

That has nothing to do with browsing performance, only mapping the DOS attributes to Unix file xattrs.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Just using a clean and untouched windows 10 pro as dummy test client, and simply mapped a bloody share....

Ok. but as the thread title says, I try to tune the browsing speed and as a bonus I am facing a high amount of network traffic which the win client generates while browsing shares or simply entering shares and I try to understand why this occurs and if this is related to Truenas12U1 !?

In ref. to this threads I was asking if these aux settings are still tha shit to boost the browsing performance while running Truenaas12xx

Samuel Tai

There are multiple possibilities for slow browsing, but you've not provided enough information to distinguish which may be the cause.

First, provide the output of testparm -a, which will display the Samba configuration on your TrueNAS installation.
Second, a network diagram would be helpful. Is this just a small flat network, or do we have to worry about master browsers and subnet master browsers with a larger topology?
Third, please describe your build.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
I do run 20+ Free/Truenas servers in a flat network env. Currently all of them patched to version 12U1-1 and all servers are supermicro.
The samba conf. is almost default, trivial workgroups and or workgroups with a jumpcloud setup.
To avoid issues with election I did disabled the Local Master checbox in smb service.

Eg. almost default Testparm -a:
[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
enable web service discovery = Yes
kernel change notify = No
load printers = No
logging = file
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 51200
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
registry shares = Yes
server role = standalone server
unix extensions = No
username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map
username map cache time = 60
workgroup = workgroup
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes

[muc_data]
ea support = No
kernel share modes = No
path = /mnt/pool01/muc_data
posix locking = No

Attached again, pretty strange the indexing option which is on per default on my windows 10 test client.

Further, the ea support option seem to be default since Truenas, right ?

Again, does anybody has experince with these options, regarding to speeding up share browsing performance?

store dos attributes = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map readonly = no
map system = no

And is store dos attributes and dos filemode is the same ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 13.13.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 13.13.54.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited: