Truenas SSH issue

woweee

Dabbler
Hello,
I am experiencing some SSH issues while trying to set up replication between two TrueNAS Core instances. All TrueNAS Core on 13.0-U4

I have multiple TrueNAS boxes with the following IPs: 10.10.x.101 and 10.10.x.102, which I refer to as NAS_A1 and NAS_A2, respectively, and 10.10.y.101 and 10.10.y.102, which I refer to as NAS_B1 and NAS_B2, respectively.

Specifically, I am unable to create an SSH connection between NAS_A1 and NAS_B1, as I receive an error message. However, I am able to successfully create SSH connections between NAS_A1 and NAS_B2, as well as between NAS_A1 and NAS_A2. Additionally, I have confirmed that I am able to create SSH connections between NAS_B1 and NAS_A2, NAS_B1 and NAS_B2, and NAS_A2 and NAS_B2.

I can use putty SSH to any NAS on both VLANs. The issue seems only between NAS_A1 and NAS_B1

Network

NAS.jpg

Error message

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/keychain.py", line 563, in remote_ssh_semiautomatic_setup
client = Client(os.path.join(re.sub("^http", "ws", data["url"]), "websocket"))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 286, in __init__
self._ws.connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 124, in connect
rv = super(WSClient, self).connect()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/ws4py/client/__init__.py", line 216, in connect
self.sock.connect(self.bind_addr)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/ssl.py", line 1343, in connect
self._real_connect(addr, False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/ssl.py", line 1330, in _real_connect
super().connect(addr)
socket.timeout: timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1247, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1152, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/keychain.py", line 565, in remote_ssh_semiautomatic_setup
raise CallError(f"Unable to connect to remote system: {e}")
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Unable to connect to remote system: timed out

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am unable to create an SSH connection between NAS_A1 and NAS_B1
Have you tried to connect using both directions? Do both fail?
1. NAS_A1 to NAS_B1
2. NAS_B1 to NAS_A1

I'm sure some VLAN expert will chime in eventually. That is not me.

woweee

Dabbler
Have you tried to connect using both directions? Do both fail?
1. NAS_A1 to NAS_B1
2. NAS_B1 to NAS_A1

I'm sure some VLAN expert will chime in eventually. That is not me.
Yes, I tried on both NAS_A1 and NAS_B1. doesn't work.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I wish I could help but I' not a networking guru. While I understand VLANs, I don't actually use them anymore. But I am curious if these two NAS's were on the same VLAN, would they be able to establish an SSH connection.

NugentS

MVP
Where is the router. You have 2 switches in your diagram but no routers to connect the VLANs together, assuming thats what you want to do.

Basically an IP packets from one network needs to go through a router to get to another network. The router obviously needs an interface (beit physical or virtual) on both networks

woweee

Dabbler
Where is the router. You have 2 switches in your diagram but no routers to connect the VLANs together, assuming thats what you want to do.

Basically an IP packets from one network needs to go through a router to get to another network. The router obviously needs an interface (beit physical or virtual) on both networks
Yes, there are routers at each site. Although any TrueNAS core can connect to and from NAS_A1 or NAS_B1, these two boxes are unable to establish a connection with each other. since I have no issues connecting NAS_A2 and NAS_B2, it is unlikely that the problem is related to the network.

Dice

Wizard
Before you can ping between the NASes the limitations reside outside TN. (Well, granted you've not an particularly elaborate fw setup that kills ICMP but accepts TCP... )

Start simple in the network domain.