TrueNAS Scale Release Plan

ornias

Wizard
The plan I've seen mentioned here multiple times suggests current 21.06 being BETA with most of the BETA-meaning "implemented" here, with 21.08 version (so around August's release) planned to become more or less GA, with the commercially supported PROD version coming even later on in the life time of the product after we test and report all the bugs and the team manages to fix them all/iron them all out ;)
You can pretty much expect next version (21.08) to still be BETA, without going into details there are still a few refactors that are quite important but didn't make it into 21.06BETA yet.

I personally expect either 21.10 or 21.12 to be the GA release. But that depends on the amount of bugs that get found during 21.06BETA and 21.08BETA

astrodon

Cadet
Is there a chart like the one below for each release? Looking around, I only see this one for 20.10.

Thanks!

1625764853670.png

ornias

Wizard
Debian: RELEASE
OpenZFS 2.0: RELEASE
Middleware and API: RC (With a BETA status for some of the elements below)
WEBUI: BETA to RC repending which page your refer to
NFS, SMB AFP etc: BETA to RC depending on which you pick
KVM: BETA
Kubernetes: BETA
Clustered Datasets: Datasets themselves BETA, clustered shares are TBH/ALPHA

keylooper

Cadet
I doubt it... but once Scale is in a GA state, the migration of the pools and some core system configs might be possible, albeit not as an in-place "upgrade" uption through the UI.

I've read multiple time there will be an upgrade from Core to Scale option via the web ui after GA is released. For example here. I'm curious/skeptical how this will be handled considering it's a completely different OS base.

ornias

Wizard
I've read multiple time there will be an upgrade from Core to Scale option via the web ui after GA is released. For example here. I'm curious/skeptical how this will be handled considering it's a completely different OS base.
The config for a TrueNAS system isn't stored as system config but only in an internal database. The system config gets writen based on that database. So they "just" need to write middleware migrating OS specific settings from the database and they should get writhen to the new OS automatically.

Also most subsystems are closely related, as packages are often ported from Linux already, as is ZFS.

keylooper

Cadet
The config for a TrueNAS system isn't stored as system config but only in an internal database. The system config gets writen based on that database. So they "just" need to write middleware migrating OS specific settings from the database and they should get writhen to the new OS automatically.

Also most subsystems are closely related, as packages are often ported from Linux already, as is ZFS.

The configs are the easy part (IMO). Changing your underlying running OS from BSD to Linux isn't straight forward. Many linux distros won't even allow major version updates (i.e. Redhat from 6->7, 7->8 are all re-installs). You can't replace your kernel while it's running which is why kernel updates in linux are one of the only "updates" that require a reboot, Ksplice gets close to not needing a reboot but it still requires one at some point to actually apply the new kernel. So this is why I'm curious/skeptical of how a complete OS change-out is going to happen. Props to them if they can make it happen.

ornias

Wizard
The configs are the easy part (IMO). Changing your underlying running OS from BSD to Linux isn't straight forward. Many linux distros won't even allow major version updates (i.e. Redhat from 6->7, 7->8 are all re-installs). You can't replace your kernel while it's running which is why kernel updates in linux are one of the only "updates" that require a reboot, Ksplice gets close to not needing a reboot but it still requires one at some point to actually apply the new kernel. So this is why I'm curious/skeptical of how a complete OS change-out is going to happen. Props to them if they can make it happen.
That was actually the easy part and is mostly already done afaik and it does need a reboot, like any TrueNAS upgrade.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Perhaps in the end there will be an import / export tool, allowing you to export the config, but re-install anyhow? Maybe that's the least likely to cause issues?

Re-roll a new USB stick, import a FreeBSD (Core) configuration, into a Scale install? Without any underlying mess from changing file system.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Is there a chart like the one below for each release? Looking around, I only see this one for 20.10.

Thanks!

View attachment 48191
With 21.08, we've got to the state where nearly everything is RC quality with a couple of major exceptions.

Clustered SMB with cluster datasets is new.... so BETA quality
SMB Windows ACLs have a new webUI editor... so BETA quality

dffvb

Dabbler
Is there a feature roadmap for scale? I am sure there is, can someone kindly post a link :smile: ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems

pNFS is the one item in the roadmap that is most at risk. We'll likely release without it. (The page will be updated when roadmap is finalized)
Using Glusterfs clients natively will perform better and be more reliable.
Clustered SMB, even with linux clients is also more reliable.