TrueNAS Scale Move System Dataset / Application Dataset to Boot Pool?

mmix

Dabbler
If I remember correctly this option was available in FreeNAS (and probably by extension in TreuNAS core, unfortunately I cannot use Core because I have 2.5Gbps Intel adapter and FreeBSD is no longer receiving any TLC from Intel so legacy FreeNAS and new Core will not work).

Does this option exist in Scale and where is it located, I can't seem to find it. I only see my custom pools in any drop down and commands relating to system and application datasets. I know its not recommended because lots of people us flash drives to boot, but I do not use flash but a proper and spacious NVMe, and I do not care about losing config and installed apps. I would rather take benefit from vastly faster NVMe and spare my spinning rust from serving in that capacity.

maximelu

Explorer
Hi,

This menu has been moved during a previous release.
He is now located into the storage secondary menu.

1620811635217.png

mmix

Dabbler
@maximelu cool, thanks, I just moved the system dataset to boot pool

That takes care of the system dataset, what about application dataset? I can only choose custom pools when initializing or configuring and that creates the ix-application dataset on selected pool (together with a bunch of mount points, as expected). But the boot pool is not available on the drop down list:

1620812481262.png

maximelu

Explorer
It is a design choice of TrueNAS. I don't know the exact reason but it's probably because the boot volume is not redundant. Personally, I added another SSD dedicated to application pool.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Perhaps you're looking for this (entirely unsupported) option?

mmix

Dabbler
That's a weird design choice, shouldn't it be up to user how much redundancy they want and where. Being warned for loss of redundancy like you are being warned when creating single disk stripes seems like more than enough of a consideration. I am certainly not going to cry over losing Plex metadata as I would over losing kids baby videos. Some things are reinstall-able and reconfigurable, now I have 240Gb being empty on my 250Gb NVMe that I cannot use for this purpose.

Is it possible to shrink boot-pool zfs file system and partition and create another pool in the empty space that would be visible from UI? And then use that pool for applications? I would really hate to have to resort to booting from flash just so I could use NVMe for system/applications. This is a miniITX NAS which already has all its 6 bays packed with spinners.

beagle

Explorer
You could use a small NVMe/SSD/HDD on a USB enclosure as boot drive.

mmix

Dabbler
@beagle, I could, but I would really like to avoid those external makeshift solutions, especially since I spent considerable time and money to make the NAS look and feel human-presentable and be <20db silent so it can sit in the living room unobtrusively.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

beagle

Explorer
@beagle, I could, but I would really like to avoid those external makeshift solutions, especially since I spent considerable time and money to make the NAS look and feel human-presentable and be <20db silent so it can sit in the living room unobtrusively.
Is there a USB port or header on your motherboard? Maybe you could fit it internally on your case.

Otherwise I suggest you to open a ticket on Jira requesting this feature. Unfortunately it seems what you are looking for is not currently supported.

mmix

Dabbler

I've read your post. In essence its about transferring scale from USB to mirrored NVMe. In my scenario that would require me to first reinstall Scale on a, say 16 or 32Gb flash, then move it to NVMe, destroying current install, and then I would be left with an empty 218Gb partition on NVMe which I could in theory format as ZFS and import into Scale? Did I get it right?

My first idea was to just shrink the ZFS single partition volume that is boot-pool, however, I can't seem to find a way to do it, it seems the only supported resize is up (with autoexpand).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
My first idea was to just shrink the ZFS single partition volume that is boot-pool, however, I can't seem to find a way to do it, it seems the only supported resize is up (with autoexpand).
Not really possible.

In essence its about transferring scale from USB to mirrored NVMe. In my scenario that would require me to first reinstall Scale on a, say 16 or 32Gb flash, then move it to NVMe, destroying current install, and then I would be left with an empty 218Gb partition on NVMe which I could in theory format as ZFS and import into Scale? Did I get it right?
You can skip the transfer part and just backup your config, follow the NVME process and restore your config.

mmix

Dabbler
@sretalla I do not remember Scale giving me a chance to partition NVMe during setup, it just asked me if I want a swap partition, it created everything else automatically to fill the entire disk, hitherto destroying the partition table.

How would I go about forcing truenas install to only use a limited part of the disk for its partitions?

sretalla