First Dataset TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0 Bluefish creation, Glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted

ASap

Dabbler
Hi everyone, I'm so excited about my first TrueNAS build:
  • ASUS Prime B660M-A WIFI D4
  • Intel Core i5-12400
  • 32 GB (Non-ECC)
  • 4 TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in Raid Z (true-pool) and 256 GB WDC NVMe (boot-pool)
  • Onboard SATA Controller
  • Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Connection I219-V
However, when I first created my very first dataset, I got an alert: "Glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted". Should I worry about them?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.54.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.54.05 AM.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 115

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi everyone, I'm so excited about my first TrueNAS build:
  • ASUS Prime B660M-A WIFI D4
  • Intel Core i5-12400
  • 32 GB (Non-ECC)
  • 4 TB Seagate IronWolf Pro in Raid Z (true-pool) and 256 GB WDC NVMe (boot-pool)
  • Onboard SATA Controller
  • Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Connection I219-V
However, when I first created my very first dataset, I got an alert: "Glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted". Should I worry about them?

You aren't building a cluster .. so gluster should not come into the equation.

Can you show your configuration steps.

ASap

Dabbler
Thanks for replying; as it's a fresh install, it's just a vanilla configuration. I was creating my very first dataset and added 4 HDDs to 1 vdev, in raidz.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm puzzled, but there's not enough info to diagnose and reproduce.

Not sure anyone else has reported a similar problem.. just ignore the alerts and see if you have any issues.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not sure anyone else has reported a similar problem.
I'm thinking my Bluefin system might be borked in many ways, but I also saw this alert after creating the first dataset on a newly-created pool under Bluefin.

ASap

Dabbler
Sorry for not being able to provide enough information. I'm still fairly new with TrueNAS, but I have some experience with Debian. If you can direct me which info to gather, I'm happy to post them here.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm thinking my Bluefin system might be borked in many ways, but I also saw this alert after creating the first dataset on a newly-created pool under Bluefin.
Ok, lets report it.. 1st I've heard. I assume its a false alert and not significant for other operations.

fmaione

Cadet
I solved the problem: I didn't give two disks to TrueNAS machine, it needs the second for the system pool. At the time you add a second pool, warning disappears. Listed also in the system requirements that I didn't read carefully ;)

pan.peter

Cadet
@fmaione this was not the issue for me, this was on a new installation with correctly created pools.

If anyone has a debug dump from their instance, please provide to the following ticket: NAS-120221

bdkjones

Cadet
An old thread, but the only one that comes up via Google. I just got this "Glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted" alert today. I have a brand new installation of TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2.

I'm running it on a Supermicro X13SCH-F motherboard and noticed that while the BMI IP address was still shown as connected to my network, the IP assigned to TrueNAS (via onboard ethernet port) was not. I don't know when that happened—I wasn't actively using the NAS and only noticed the issue when I tried to connect to its IP address on my LAN and that timed out. I logged into the BMI, but the remote console would not accept any input (the usual 1-9 for actions to perform). So, I chose "graceful shutdown" through the BMI and saw TrueNAS flash messages about unmounting disks, etc. The LAN itself appeared fine: the Internet worked, I could connect to other local devices, etc.

When I next powered on the system, the "glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted" alert was shown and the dashboard was missing information for CPU, Memory, and Network—these sections showed just spinning wheels. The storage section appeared normal. I could see my pools and datasets. The UI was responsive.

I chose "Restart" from the power menu and, after another reboot, things came back normally. No alert. All dashboard sections working.

I don't know what happened. The OS is installed on a Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA SSD. I have a single pool that consists of 2x4TB Samsung 990 PRO 4TB M.2 NVME drives in a mirror set connected directly to the motherboard. There are a couple users and one SMB share set up, but otherwise nothing else running. I'm still evaluating TrueNAS, so I planned to wipe this install and start from scratch anyway.

I'm just concerned because this is a clean install with a very simple setup and, well, things seem to be hanging and disconnecting already.

heyitsjel

Dabbler
An old thread, but the only one that comes up via Google. I just got this "Glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted" alert today. I have a brand new installation of TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2.

I'm running it on a Supermicro X13SCH-F motherboard and noticed that while the BMI IP address was still shown as connected to my network, the IP assigned to TrueNAS (via onboard ethernet port) was not. I don't know when that happened—I wasn't actively using the NAS and only noticed the issue when I tried to connect to its IP address on my LAN and that timed out. I logged into the BMI, but the remote console would not accept any input (the usual 1-9 for actions to perform). So, I chose "graceful shutdown" through the BMI and saw TrueNAS flash messages about unmounting disks, etc. The LAN itself appeared fine: the Internet worked, I could connect to other local devices, etc.

When I next powered on the system, the "glusterd work directory dataset is not mounted" alert was shown and the dashboard was missing information for CPU, Memory, and Network—these sections showed just spinning wheels. The storage section appeared normal. I could see my pools and datasets. The UI was responsive.

I chose "Restart" from the power menu and, after another reboot, things came back normally. No alert. All dashboard sections working.

I don't know what happened. The OS is installed on a Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA SSD. I have a single pool that consists of 2x4TB Samsung 990 PRO 4TB M.2 NVME drives in a mirror set connected directly to the motherboard. There are a couple users and one SMB share set up, but otherwise nothing else running. I'm still evaluating TrueNAS, so I planned to wipe this install and start from scratch anyway.

I'm just concerned because this is a clean install with a very simple setup and, well, things seem to be hanging and disconnecting already.
Literally exactly what you're describing is happening to me.

I figured my previous TrueNAS SCALE install had some sort of major errors; exported my pools and re-installed SCALE to a different SSD. Re-imported my pool and unlocked with the encryption .JSON.
Pool appears to be fine; data can be accessed via SMB shares.

My dashboard is exactly as you've described (continuously loading cpu/memory/network).

Interestingly, my pool is on 4x 4TB nvme's....

ToeiRei

Cadet
Same problem, just like a textbook example - a reboot fixed it for me as well. Quite interesting to dig into.
Shouldn't a shutdown and a reboot be the same for the system?