TrueNAS Scale Move System Dataset / Application Dataset to Boot Pool?

mmix

Dabbler
Success!!

Ok, did the process suggested by @sretalla with some changes:
  • Fixed GPT to use the whole disk
  • Realigned partitions to 1M (probably not needed, but force of habit)
  • Created partition in free space and imported, moved system and application there

1621174522978.png

Attachments

• 1621172570520.png
    1621172570520.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 297

mmix

Dabbler
Btw, I just noticed that TrueNAS is not using the swap partition it so diligently asked me to create in install. Instead it seems to piggiback on hidden 2GB partitions it created during pool creation.

Thats like a big no-no for me, swaps on spinning rust is like 1990s. Is there a way to tell TrueNAS Core not to create those partitions automatically or am I forced to manually create zpool without it and import later?
Since I am already on a debian system, I intend to create a swap file in my application zfs and bring it online on startup

ornias

Wizard
Btw, I just noticed that TrueNAS is not using the swap partition it so diligently asked me to create in install. Instead it seems to piggiback on hidden 2GB partitions it created during pool creation.

Thats like a big no-no for me, swaps on spinning rust is like 1990s. Is there a way to tell TrueNAS Core not to create those partitions automatically or am I forced to manually create zpool without it and import later?
Since I am already on a debian system, I intend to create a swap file in my application zfs and bring it online on startup
yes there is a config option to set them to 0.

However:
It should already decrease ARC before ever using SWAP, so if you have ZFS levels of ARC (which you should) it should never see that Swap used anyway. In the manual iX even advices to abuse the Swap size setting to artificatially create smaller L2ARC partitions on SSD's.

mmix

Dabbler
Yea, I have 32Gb of RAM, swap (4Gb) is completely unused, it just wastes my spinner size and complicates by pool. I don't ever expect to run out of RAM, even with Plex running.

Btw, where is that setting? The System->Advanced->Swap size does not seem to exist in Scale..

MikeLowry

Dabbler
Hi All,

Need to move the system dataset to the boot pool due to reads every few seconds. I don't see that menu option on SCALE RC2.

1640672150414.png

The NAS is not in production yet so I also need to resize the pool (and create 2 pools on 3TB each - any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers
M

MadMungo

Dabbler
It is now now at System Settings > Advanced

Aken

Dabbler
Yea, I have 32Gb of RAM, swap (4Gb) is completely unused, it just wastes my spinner size and complicates by pool. I don't ever expect to run out of RAM, even with Plex running.

Btw, where is that setting? The System->Advanced->Swap size does not seem to exist in Scale

@mmix are you still using SCALE? I've run into the same issue as you - fortunately you can still set swapondrive=0 if you do it via the API or CLI.

The problem I'm having is that TrueNAS Scale doesn't seem to give you the option of creating a swap partition on the boot disk unless it's over a certain size, so the trick of cloning from a smaller USB stick (which is a ridiculous workaround!) doesn't allow a swap partition on the boot disk. I think the only option at that point is to create a swap *file* on the boot disk, as per here.

Honestly I'm getting sick of running into dumb roadblocks. Between this issue, and the 10-20% CPU usage I'm seeing from k3s even when no applications are running, I'm tempted to just roll my own Ubuntu server and do away with TrueNAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
it just wastes my spinner size and complicates by pool. I don't ever expect to run out of RAM, even with Plex running.

You're never supposed to run out of RAM.

However, it is not wasting your disk. There are conditions that can occur, when you're importing a pool, that can result in the ZFS import process using lots of memory, gobs of it in fact. If that happens, you will not be able to import the pool until you physically add more RAM to the system, or give it something to swap onto.

If you expect to run out of RAM, then, by all means, add RAM.

But you should also trust that the developers have just a tiny bit of experience with all of this stuff, and are engineering for cases that you did not expect. You run the risk of bad and unexpected things happening when you decide to force the system to do things it doesn't want to do.