TrueNas Scale - Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD on Plex / docker

LouisB

Dabbler
Anyone tried to make it work?
I seems the unRaid folks were sucessful at making it work
  1. You need to install the Linux Kernel with DVB drivers, you’ll find it on the unRaid forum ( its also made by linuxserver I think, coincidentally)
  2. Then you need to add an extra parameter to your plex docker container to pass /dev/dvb/ to the container

any insights/help appreciated.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What form factor Hauppage do you have? In all likelihood, your best option is to create a Linux VM on Scale, and then pass through the Hauppage to it.

LouisB

Dabbler
I have a the pci-e version.
I do not mind setting up a VM instead of using docker, but still need some instruction to pass through the Hauppauge card.
Of course, the easiest would be to pass through the card in the docker.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Of course, the easiest would be to pass through the card in the docker.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible, as adding driver modules to the host kernel isn't feasible. You'd need to compile a Scale kernel from source, with the same config as the packaged product, to be able to add the DVB drivers you need. You'd also need to repeat this rigamarole at every upgrade.

To pass through a PCI device to a Scale VM, see https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ie-device-such-as-a-network-card-to-vm.95635/.

This means, of course, you'll end up running Plex from inside the VM, instead of from the host container. You could run either the native Linux Plex Media Server, or install Docker in the VM, and launch the official Plex Docker yourself.

@LouisB

Have you considered a SiliconDust streaming tuner? No drivers required and works with Plex

You could pick up a used ATSC 1.0 or get a new ASTC 3.0 version, then sell the Hauppauge

SD has a free app and GetChannels has a better app that will run on almost any platform.

Last edited:

asw2012

Contributor
I did just find this thread. I am trying to pass through Hauppauge TV Tuner (Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23887/8 PCIe Broadcast Audio and Video Decoder with 3D Comb) to a NextPVR Docker app in Scale. Am I running into the same problem here or? I've been over at the NextPVR forums and they said to issue command ls /dev/dvb - it returns adapter0

They seem to think it will work if we can, by adding the following docker command line parameter when starting the NextPVR container:

--device /dev/dvb:/dev/dvb

But, where do we add this command - if indeed, this will work?

LouisB

Dabbler
(xpost from https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeServer..._hauppage_wintvquadhd_is_it_possible/iroktw8/)

I was able to get this working with TrueNAS Scale 22.02.4 and the Plex app packaged by TrueCharts (plus Plex Pass, which is needed for Plex to support Live TV at all). Two non-default config changes were needed:

1. In the Plex chart config, under "Configure Mount USB Devices", add a passthrough for /dev/dvb (same path on host and container). Default device permissions were fine for me. At this point, Plex could see the tuner, but scanning channels found almost none.
  2. It turns out there's a bug with this particular tuner on Linux. When I went to scan channels, dmesg filled up with cx23885 driver errors, which tipped me off to the fix. Basically, there's a workaround enabled by default for some hardware, but not for my setup (a 10400 CPU with a Z590 mobo). Adding the cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2 option to the kernel command line forces the workaround on and allows the card to work properly.
You can make this kernel option persist across reboots and updates as follows:

$ sudo midclt call system.advanced.update '{"kernel_extra_options": "cx23885.dma_reset_workaround=2"}'