SOLVED How to pass through a pcie device such as a network card to VM

sagit

Cadet
How to pass through a pcie device such as a network card to VM In SCALE

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
On your virtual machine, click Devices, then Add, then select the type of PCI Passthru Device, then select the device...

lspci may help you to find the device you're looking for in advance.

sagit

Cadet
On your virtual machine, click Devices, then Add, then select the type of PCI Passthru Device, then select the device...

lspci may help you to find the device you're looking for in advance.
There is nothing to choose
1633004735741.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Then you may need to check the hardware support for VT-D (VT-x in general). If it's enabled in BIOS, it should work with no need for additional tweaks of the system.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Not the same thing... you need the VT-D extension for device passthrough in addition to the base virtualization requirement of KVM.

How does this come out?
dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

I imagine the answer is no output for you, but on a system with IOMMU enabled, you will see a bunch of lines, with this one being the most important to see:

[ 0.052438] DMAR: IOMMU enabled

Last edited:

sagit

Cadet
I have solved it
Not the same thing... you need the VT-D extension for device passthrough in addition to the base virtualization requirement of KVM.

How does this come out?
dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU

I imagine the answer is no output for you, but on a system with IOMMU enabled, you will see a bunch of lines, with this one being the most important to see:

[ 0.052438] DMAR: IOMMU enabled
I have solved it.thanks

Primož

Dabbler
I'm testing out the RC2 (just seeing what the performance in the virtual machine is like, doing a sanity check as there should be no issues) and I have the same problem. There are no devices to pass through.

The issue is that the two devices that could be passed through are the GPU, which was chosen setting up the VM, and an NVMe SSD (on a x16 adapter card), that shows up among the drives. I would like to pass through the SSD as well.

IOMMU is enabled, confirmed by the DMAR: IOMMU enabled.

EDIT: never mind, I was merely editing the existing PCI device, you need to add devices... The naming is garbled, but an lspci helps there (just remember the address to add the cards).

Last edited:
Hi, I have VT-d enabled in the BIOS and I still have this exact issue.
''dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU'' doesn't yield any output.
My CPU does officially support VT-x and VT-d according to Intel.
CPUs: 2x Xeon X5675

I know this is an old thread (kindof) but I still can't figure this out.