Docker (Custom Apps) barely supported?

a.limmi

Cadet
Hello,

I am testing out variuos functions of TrueNAS, seeing if we as a company will use TrueNAS in production. Runnign Docker Containers would be a key feature, as I don't find everything I need as an App under "Discover Apps". Supposedly TrueNAS SCALE should be able to run Docker Containers, but in the last few days, I've been biting my teeth out getting very basic containers that work flawlessly on other systems, to run properly.

The documentation on this is also very poor (also the quick tips inside TrueNAS UI). In many cases it only explains a settings field by repeating the headline that's already above the field. Very useful...

So the points / questions where I don't know how to progress further are:

1. I tested the Docker In Docker image. Didn't work: What do cryptic error message like this mean?
    Back-off restarting failed container ix-chart in pod docker-ix-chart-59b7cdfb7b-hnwsb_ix-docker(9f6bb474-248a-4ec1-9084-7e6ece6bd79d)

2. Another container "ntfy", it runs without problems on Unraid for example. It's being invoked with the container command serve. On TrueNAS I get this error whe deploying:
    Error: failed to create containerd task: failed to create shim task: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: exec: "serve": executable file not found in $PATH: unknown

3. How do I get a shell inside a Docker container? This is absolutely mandatory for debugging and configuring.
    When clicking on the "Shell" Icon under "Details" of a custom app, none of the options gets me inside a docker shell.
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 133208.png

4. Why does the documentation say "Enter the Github repository for the application you want to install in Image Repository." when it pulls from dockerhub?
I am very frustrated with the user interface and the fact that everything looks like you're able to run docker containers, even though it's not really supported. (As in getting support or information)

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Rather than futzing with the Apps system, have you tried jailmaker, within which you can run Docker directly in an ad hoc manner?