Nginx custom app won't work with host path mappings

LordJabu

Cadet
First off, if someone has a better solution to host a static web page or I have missed some simple functionality of SCALE I am open to ditching this avenue and trying something different. With that said, I already know how to use Nginx and would like to use it.

I am trying to use the "custom app" feature to install the official docker image of nginx but am having difficulty getting host paths working. With no permissions and no host paths the container deploys with no issues and the "Welcome to Nginx" page is accessible through the port forwarding I configured. No other settings were changed besides the image repository, tag, and port forwarding.

My issue starts if I try to map a host path to any directory in the pod. If I map any host path to any container path the pod will not deploy. I have tried with and without configuring the container user and group ID (both 568). I tried using the truecharts custom app tool as well but I can't get it to deploy no matter what I do with that.

My goal would be to map /usr/share/nginx and /etc/nginx in the container to .../Apps/nginx/nginx-data and .../Apps/nginx/nginx-conf respectively on the host.

This is only an issue with Nginx. All apps I've tried from the official charts and truecharts have worked. I have about 20 installed. I also did a test with the Linuxserver sonarr image as a custom app and it works fine with host path mappings.

I am not a professional and do not have a ton of experience with this stuff so if I'm having a fundamental misunderstanding of how this stuff works please let me know.

With the built-in custom app named "nginx" it gives this error:
Code:
Back-off restarting failed container ix-chart in pod nginx-ix-chart-7f4f4fdbc6-66b6m_ix-nginx(5f7ec72a-4060-4e57-b362-b08e9d7b4185)

With the truecharts custom app named "nginx-truecharts" it gives this error:
Code:
Back-off restarting failed container nginx-truecharts-custom-app in pod nginx-truecharts-custom-app-5fbb55bb47-pjbhn_ix-nginx-truecharts(67f8b55a-2b9d-4b9a-aec3-6f79645c31ef)

It may be worth noting I was having a similar issue about 4 months ago when I first set up this server. I couldn't get any apps to work at that point. The solution was to move from bluefin to cobia and everything has been fine since (other than this).

OS Version: TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.1
Product: PowerEdge T410
Model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz
Memory: 126 GiB ECC

12x 4TB HGST 7200 rpm
mirror 2x 500gb Samsung 870 evo metadata special Vdev

NugentS

MVP
If its any help (probably isn't). I just deployed the TrueNAS nginx-proxy-manager using hostpaths for config and certs without any issue. The hostpaths was the only thing I changed

On re-reading the OP - it seems you are using custom app. Not something I have tried

Last edited:

LordJabu

Cadet
If its any help (probably isn't). I just deployed the TrueNAS nginx-proxy-manager using hostpaths for config and certs without any issue. The hostpaths was the only thing I changed

On re-reading the OP - it seems you are using custom app. Not something I have tried
My understanding is Nginx proxy manager doesn’t do static html page servers like plain Nginx does. Or at least it’s not intended for that.

It’s just for what it sounds like it’s for, proxies, right?