Nginx pod and configuration

HikariNass

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some guidance on certain concepts. I've set up an nginx server on my TrueNAS Scale 23.10.1 server. Having grasped the workings of images and Docker containers, I initiated the installation in my NAS shell with the following command:

```
k3s kubectl exec -n <NAMESPACE> --stdin --tty <POD> -- /bin/bash
```

This command takes me directly into my pod shell, if I understand correctly. Within this container, I installed Nano and Certbot using the following commands:

```
apt-get update
apt-get install certbot python3-certbot-nginx
apt-get install nano
```

I began by launching Certbot with the command:

```
certbot certonly --nginx -d <MY DOMAIN> -v
```

I then modified my configuration in `/etc/nginx/nginx.conf` by adding the following:

```
server {
listen 443 ssl;
server_name MY DOMAIN;

ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/MY DOMAIN/fullchain.pem;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/MY DOMAIN/privkey.pem;
ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
ssl_ciphers 'TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256:TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384';
}
```

Afterward, I ran `nginx -t` to ensure that `nginx.conf` had no errors, followed by `service nginx restart`. Everything seemed to work well; I set up NAT redirection to pass the `http_01` test by Let's Encrypt, and my domain name pointed to my box.

However, issues arose. Certbot worked fine when launched, but the certificate never initiated. When I mistakenly relaunched my Nginx application, the pod changed names, and all modifications within the container vanished.

The second problem arose when I could only use one web-connected application on my NAS. This led me to explore reverse proxies, and Nginx Proxy Manager seemed like the ideal solution. I redirected my NAT on my router to TCP internal port 30022 and external port 443, which redirects to the HTTPS port of Nginx Proxy Manager. I created a proxy host with my domain name as a target and https://192.168.1.149:443 as a destination.

Now, when I go to my domain name, I encounter a 502 error and find myself blocked. Could someone kindly help me with this?

Last edited:

sretalla