LEMP stack via custom applications on TrueNAS SCALE

Rezer

Cadet
I'm migrating from TrueNAS core to scale (for GPU NVENC support reasons), and as I have absolutely no experience with docker/kubernetes I've setup a TrueNAS SCALE VM to try and figure out how to get containerized apps setup to replace the custom jails I have now. I'm currently trying to configure a basic LEMP stack to host a fairly basic web application, and while the L is a given I'm finding that the current app catalog only really has the M available...no nginx or php-fpm options on offer that I can see.

That leaves me trying to setup a custom application, and while I'm sloooowly fumbling my way through and learning the basics and have spun up what appears to be a slightly functional php-fpm container, I've kind of hit a road block as far as migrating this over to my production server. The web UI for a custom app seems to completely replace the concept of a Dockerfile, so rather than just importing a file with everything spelled out it seems to just be stored somewhere under the hood in TrueNAS, but whatever gets stored doesn't seem to be readily accessible other than via the UI. I've given heavyscript backup a shot but it only seems to backup charts apps, the custom apps it sees it just saves a bogus namespace and none of the extra configuration from the custom app page. Am I correct in understanding that there's no way to export and re-import a custom app configuration? Is the only alterternative to setup my own application repository and figure out what to stuff in all these myriad .yaml files just to get a repeatable installation of php and nginx? Or I guess copy paste the config page one field at a time...

Also, completely fair to tell me I'm going about this entirely wrong. I'm having trouble believing it should be this hard to do this, but when you're fumbling around in the dark sometimes it takes a little while to find the light switch.