SOLVED apps with nginx

CirKan

Cadet
Does anyone know why nextcloud comes with nginx in the same container?

Why not use the nginx app itself and allow the user freedom to use the port of his choice and not increase the consumption of resources having several nginx running simultaneously?

Thank you.

subnetspider

Dabbler
Because the few megabytes of RAM you'll save by running fewer instances of Nginx are not enough to justify the extra work.
This would have been a different discussion 20-30 years ago, but today RAM prices are so low that this argument has no real value.
But if this is something you want for yourself, no one is stopping you from creating your own containers.:smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd further say that without some web server, the Nextcloud container just isn't very useful. It doesn't especially matter to me whether that's nginx, Apache, or (my preference) Caddy, but it really needs some web server running.

CirKan

Cadet
And the fact of not being able to freely choose the port, I would like to be able to use 443. But this way it is not possible.

In some situations there are ports that are blocked.

sretalla