SOLVED TrueNAS SCALE - Error when trying to view available applications

MediJaster

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

This morning I decided to upgrade from CORE to SCALE, and everything went pretty smoothly, the SMB shares and ACLs ported over with no issues (Seriously, great work iXsystems). Then I got to installing applications, and there were no available applications, so I checked the task manager and then a notification arrived that read

Failed to sync OFFICIAL catalog: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git' repository at '/mnt/MadeInHeaven/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master' destination: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/truenas/charts.git /mnt/MadeInHeaven/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/MadeInHeaven/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master'... fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com '​

I then turned over to my trusty shell inside the gui and tried to ping github.com to then be greeted by the infamous "unknown host" error, so I went to github.com from my computer and it worked fine so I'm assuming it's a networking settings issue but I don't know what to check.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this, really looking forward to any suggestions you might have.

Motherboard: JINGSHA DUAL CPU X79
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2650 V2
RAM: 2 x 32GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
HDDs: 6 x 4TB SATA 3.5" 7200rpm -- RaidZ2
Network: 2 x 1000/100/10 Realtek NIC integrated in the motherboard

MediJaster

Dabbler
have you set dns and default gateway in the networking tab?
I have now correctly set everything up and everything works.

So, PSA to everyone, ensure you correctly set up your networking settings, especially the dns, because that seemed like the main issue since the gateway was correct

Now I have a different problem, when installing plex I get a weird error about the container name not meeting the requirements but it's literally "Plex" and nothing else, this is unrelated tho so I am going to mark this as solved

Last edited:

LarsR

Guru
kubernetes doenst like capital letters so try "plex" instead of "Plex" ^^

jonasd

Cadet
have you set dns and default gateway in the networking tab?
Interesting... I started having this issue as soon as 2 of the 3 configured dns options were set to a tracking-blocking dns... I guess available apps are being routed through a tracking domain? (and it's only using the first 2 dns servers)
1 pihole 2 adguard home (as a fallback on my HA blue, out of convenience as the pihole addon was dropped a few years back)

Daniel_H212

Cadet
I have now correctly set everything up and everything works.

So, PSA to everyone, ensure you correctly set up your networking settings, especially the dns, because that seemed like the main issue since the gateway was correct

Now I have a different problem, when installing plex I get a weird error about the container name not meeting the requirements but it's literally "Plex" and nothing else, this is unrelated tho so I am going to mark this as solved
Thanks to this thread, I realized that my problem was with networking, but to provide a more specific piece of information to anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future, the problem I had was with the Global Configurations in the network tab, where I had to set the nameservers (DNS servers) and IPv4 default gateway properly. To find out what you should put in there, I referred to this thread which suggested to use either ipconfig /all on a Windows PC console or cat /etc/resolv.conf on a Mac, which is connected to the same network as the NAS, in order to find out the DNS server and IPv4 default gateway (for some reason, the information in my router's app was inaccurate/incomplete).