TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.BETA is available - Subforum here

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
We are pleased to release TrueNAS SCALE 23.10-BETA.1! This is codenamed "Cobia".

The full blog on Cobia is here: https://www.truenas.com/blog/truenas-scale-cobia-has-reached-beta/

This early release is intended for testing and early feedback purposes only. Do not use this early-release software for critical tasks.

There are many new features and continued improvements to the TrueNAS SCALE experience:
  • Apps redesigned: an overhaul of apps screens and backend improvements provides a more complete experience.
  • Storage Pool creation redesign: provides more details about pool configuration and supports larger SCALE deployments.
  • Drive count optimizations: SCALE 23.10 allows up to 1255 disks, or more than 25PB, under management on a single system.
  • Samba update and speed improvements
  • Simplified feedback and bug reporting.
  • Linux Kernel 6.1 and improved Hardware Support.
  • OpenZFS 2.2 with many iXsystems contributions.
  • NVIDIA 535.54.03 Driver Updates.
  • SCALE Enterprise: iSCSI ALUA support is added to TrueNAS SCALE Enterprise.
  • System service replacements: many system services that were built into SCALE Bluefin are rebuilt as optional TrueNAS SCALE applications.
  • System reporting has been overhauled and now uses Netdata as the backend to provide system statistics to the Reporting screens.
  • Pause / Unpause ZFS Scrub Controls.
  • ZFS Block Cloning (Deduplication) for SMB & NFS file copies (requires a pool upgrade for pools created in previous major versions before 23.10).
See the Release Notes for more details.

Release Notes: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/23.10/gettingstarted/scalereleasenotes
Download: https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale and https://download.truenas.com/TrueNAS-SCALE-Cobia-BETA/23.10-BETA.1/
Documentation: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale

For any discussions in the Forum on Cobia-specific issues, please use the Cobia Forum: https://www.truenas.com/community/forums/Cobia/

Thanks for the early testing of TrueNAS SCALE Cobia! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

Also, if you find a bug, please create a ticket at https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This sub-forum should be used for any feedback or questions regarding SCALE 23.10 or Cobia updates, especially prior to the formal release.

Jaffo

Cadet
I reported a bug and the change was approved. when would an update for the fix be available ?

Are the nightlys suitable for updating the beta every so often ?

hege

Dabbler
I have reported a bug NAS-123600 about UPS connection driver not being enabled. This is an upgraded system from 22.12.3.3, and it was giving me error for UPS connection lost. After enabling and starting the ups-driver@ups service, the problem is fixed. Not sure what's different about 23.10 and 22.12 base systems that broke this, but it's pretty important to have reliable UPS connections :)

hege

Dabbler
Anyone else seeing the "datasets" page being empty? It tells me to create a pool, but I have two pools already?

Snafu

Cadet
Anyone else seeing the "datasets" page being empty? It tells me to create a pool, but I have two pools already?
I had this issue as well after upgrading from 22.12.3.2. Did not find a fix, but my SMB shares for those datasets are still working.

cykadelics

Cadet
I am having some issues with ACL and SMB shares after updating.

I think I have configured everything correctly and it used to work as I had intended before the update, but I am very open to inputs regarding a better way to achieve this.

What I want to do is to make it so that a particular SMB share is only visible on the network to me, the admin, and another share that is only visible to some other assigned "guest" user.

Before the update I achieved this by creating a unique user in Credentials -> Local Users. Then I went to Shares -> SMB Shares -> Edit Share ACL -> Then I removed *everyone* and added only the user with Permissions to FULL and Type to ALLOWED.
This resulted in the share only being visible to the assigned user. After the update this no longer seems to work. Whatever I try to do, the share is either not visible to anyone, or the only option that works is to set the ACL to *everyone*

I have tried everything that I can think of, but I am completely lost as to what might have changed after the update.

Sorry if the post is a bit confusing, thanks for all help with this matter.

cykadelics

Cadet
I guess what I am trying to say is that I think Access based enumeration is not working properly. At least I am unable to get it working on my installation after updating.

mervincm

Contributor
Will Cobia allow Nvidia GPU to be used (shared) by multiple apps, does anyone know?
I asked this on twitter/x and the answer was that it was never stopped by TrueNAS for the native Apps. Looking back it seems that was a TrueCharts app limitation after some combo of TrueCharts updates and TNAS updates.

luckyluke699

Dabbler
I asked this on twitter/x and the answer was that it was never stopped by TrueNAS for the native Apps. Looking back it seems that was a TrueCharts app limitation after some combo of TrueCharts updates and TNAS updates.
Thank you. I'll try this to confirm...

ULTIoNT

Dabbler
I am using Cobia beta for the 13gen iGPU support that comes with the updated Linux kernel, which has been great. I wonder will I be able to upgrade from a beta version to a release version and get back to the stable train from that, when Cobia finally comes out? Or I will have to reinstall the system and upload the configs to revert to the stable train?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am having some issues with ACL and SMB shares after updating.

I think I have configured everything correctly and it used to work as I had intended before the update, but I am very open to inputs regarding a better way to achieve this.

What I want to do is to make it so that a particular SMB share is only visible on the network to me, the admin, and another share that is only visible to some other assigned "guest" user.

Before the update I achieved this by creating a unique user in Credentials -> Local Users. Then I went to Shares -> SMB Shares -> Edit Share ACL -> Then I removed *everyone* and added only the user with Permissions to FULL and Type to ALLOWED.
This resulted in the share only being visible to the assigned user. After the update this no longer seems to work. Whatever I try to do, the share is either not visible to anyone, or the only option that works is to set the ACL to *everyone*

I have tried everything that I can think of, but I am completely lost as to what might have changed after the update.

Sorry if the post is a bit confusing, thanks for all help with this matter.
Please PM me a debug.

flashdrive

Patron
Did you see any issues with IPv6 setup of the onboard ethernet?

After the Upgrade to Cobia Beta 1 from TN Scale ...3.3 my former automatic setup of IPv6 was not working, it is now only ok with IPv4.

does anyone have updates on next beta release? hoping all of theses features will be fixed. Excited to see how everything is when this is stable. TRUENAS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joeschmuck

Old Man
25PB, Wow! Can I download the entire internet to that? Seems like it :wink:
Thanks iXsystems for product.

ABain

Bug Conductor
iXsystems
does anyone have updates on next beta release? hoping all of theses features will be fixed. Excited to see how everything is when this is stable. TRUENAS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you checkout the release notes and expand the release schedule section you can see the planned (subject to change) dates: