TrueNAS SCALE 21.06-BETA Now Available!

vampyren

Dabbler
You don’t have to give others any perms. You can simply uncheck read, write, execute, but it needs to be set.
I haven’t seen that issue, but my ACL’s just carried over from CORE.
Ok maybe this is a issue on new install only. I had core before but made a new install.

hrabbe

Dabbler
I have just installed the beta for testing.
Im struggling with permissions on dataset/smb. Files created is created with user group and not the group both users is member in.
My plan is to have multiple smb shares available on my local network. Some of the shares there will be multiple users that need access and I want all of these users to have read, write, execute permissions on all files.

This is what I have tried so far:
1. created User1 and User2
2. created Group1 and added User1 and User2 to this group
3. created a dataset and changed the owner to User1 and group owner Group1
4. created a smb share for this dataset.

The problem is when I log in to this smb share with User1 and create a folder or create a file the ownership is set to User1:User1. Likewise for User2 ownership is set to User2:User2.

User1 can not do anything with the files User2 created and User2 can not touch the files User1 created.

How to fix so that all files User1 and User2 creates is using the right owner Group1 so that all of the users in this group can do whatever they want with all the files on this smb share?

josh.walls

Dabbler
Dang. So there's not a way to move to the Beta train? I was asked by Devs to move to the nightlies to test a fix. I'm on a nightly from 20210604 and the Beta still shows as an older version/downgrade. Bummer.

oumpa31

Patron
So any idea why i cant add group or even user to ACL ?
I'm having the same issues. Have a feeling the ACL fixes didn't make it into Beta. We may have to wait till 21.08 for these fixes. i was able to add users and groups to folders in windows i just had to set the admin user and group to the top of the data set.

ornias

Wizard
Dang. So there's not a way to move to the Beta train? I was asked by Devs to move to the nightlies to test a fix. I'm on a nightly from 20210604 and the Beta still shows as an older version/downgrade. Bummer.
It can (sometimes) be done by using a manual update file or reverting the update to nightly (select an older boot environment). No guarantees though.

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

I'm currently running TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U4.

Is it possible to install TrueNAS Scale into another system disk and simple import my current pools as if nothing has happened?

Of course my jails wouldn't work, but my data would be there? We already have this level of data portability between FreeBSD ZFS and Linux ZFS?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes and we'll document the process after more testing with 21.06.

jbattermann

Cadet
Playing with 21.06-BETA.1 a bit and tried to created a new Windows 10 Vm which can be created but not started... it fails with "[EFAULT] VM will not start as DISK Device: /dev/zvol/P4510s/Virtual Machines/Windows10Siemens-qv2iw device(s) are not available." (see below) BUT that ZVol was created, see screenshot. Is there something missing / is it possible that some permissions are off or unexpected?

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1207, in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1004, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_lifecycle.py", line 46, in start
await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self._start, vm['name'])
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_supervisor.py", line 61, in _start
self.vms[vm_name].start(vm_data=self._vm_from_name(vm_name))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/supervisor/supervisor_base.py", line 142, in start
raise CallError(
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM will not start as DISK Device: /dev/zvol/P4510s/Virtual Machines/Windows10Siemens-qv2iw device(s) are not available.

Capture.PNG

Capture_2.PNG

vampyren

Dabbler
I'm having the same issues. Have a feeling the ACL fixes didn't make it into Beta. We may have to wait till 21.08 for these fixes. i was able to add users and groups to folders in windows i just had to set the admin user and group to the top of the data set.
Seeems like the most basic thing....i mean isnt that the first thing a user does? o well i have to do as you or wait until 21.08. Thanks for confirming.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Seeems like the most basic thing....i mean isnt that the first thing a user does? o well i have to do as you or wait until 21.08. Thanks for confirming.

It's been noted that ACLs require a configuration for "other".... this hasn't been documented well yet, but 21.06 software works as-is.

yeah

Cadet
I only got this far with ACL:

I was able to save ACL permissions with user/group selected and assigned to "USERA" on the left side (File Information) AND UserObj; GroupObj; Other on the right side (ACL).

Given that I did not set permissions for Other, I can only connect to this share with USERA. That's as expected.

I cannot, however, add additional (read-only) permissions for another user "USERB". With varying error messages that do not necessarily make sense to me I cannot save any changes to my above maintained permissions.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I only got this far with ACL:

I was able to save ACL permissions with user/group selected and assigned to "USERA" on the left side (File Information) AND UserObj; GroupObj; Other on the right side (ACL).

Given that I did not set permissions for Other, I can only connect to this share with USERA. That's as expected.

I cannot, however, add additional (read-only) permissions for another user "USERB". With varying error messages that do not necessarily make sense to me I cannot save any changes to my above maintained permissions.
It seems that there is a requirement to define the ACL for Other. Can you do this even if it is no read or write access. then you can try adding an ACL for USERB. If that is not working, then there may be a bug... please report it. I'll see if we can document the correct process more quickly.

flight44

Cadet
No matter what I do, I am unable to change ACLs on my dataset I've imported from TrueNAS Core. It just says "Operation not permitted".

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
No matter what I do, I am unable to change ACLs on my dataset I've imported from TrueNAS Core. It just says "Operation not permitted".
I'd suggest starting a thread and writing down the details.... e,g which CORE version, is this for SMB?

yeah

Cadet
@morganL: I do have ACL for "Other" set. That's how I could save settings for USERA at all. Addition of USERB seems impossible to me. I will be on the road for some days now and will come back here next weekend. If you don't mind, I'll provide some details about what exactly I was doing and getting, prior to posting a bug report. I will open a dedicated thread and reference you to it. It could very well be me missing an important thing here :)

Thanks and keep up the excellent support!

fednikx

Cadet
I'm testing the TrueNAS Scale. So far I created three nodes over VMs and provisioned successfully a Cluster/Gluster volume with TrueCommand.

1625048099218.png

My question now is: how can I use it? I can't see a way to provide it via iSCSI or NFS, either from TrueCommand or the nodes' GUI.
I haven't found anything on the documentation as well. What am I missing?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer