Truenas Mini X add fans to lower noise?

ragametal

Contributor
So i have been contemplating the truenas mini X appliance but some online reviews are reporting noise levels around 38 dbA. While that is not loud by normal server standards, it might prove to be distracting in a quiet office environment.

I was thinking that, if i can increase the airflow by adding another fan, then the rest of the fans could spin slower which will lower the noise levels. It appears that the best implementation would be to put a fan right behind the hard drive cage which would also help extract the heat that gets trapped between the drives.

Does this make sense? or am I overthinking this?

Also, does anybody know how the noise levels of this unit compares to something like HPE ML30 Gen10?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You could try to get hold of the chassis manual and shop for silent fans. I am very satiesfied with the results after I exchanged all chassis fans in my three servers for Noctua products.

ragametal

Contributor
You could try to get hold of the chassis manual and shop for silent fans. I am very satiesfied with the results after I exchanged all chassis fans in my three servers for Noctua products.

I thought about that but, my understanding is that this chassis use a CPU fan and a main fan in the back that is already 120mm which are quiet by nature. So that makes me believe that the noise comes from the CPU fan.

Which noctua fan did you use for the CPU of your Mini X?

Also, do you know if the warranty will be voided if i replace the fans?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Which noctua fan did you use for the CPU of your Mini X?
I replaced only the chassis fans. And I run only Supermicro servers, not a Mini X. The do make a noticeable difference. Even with the 120mm fan in the SC-721 which is similar to the Mini X.

ragametal

Contributor
I replaced only the chassis fans. And I run only Supermicro servers, not a Mini X. The do make a noticeable difference. Even with the 120mm fan in the SC-721 which is similar to the Mini X.
Then i will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

c77dk

Patron
Then i will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I doubt you'll regret the 120mm - have 3 of them i my fileserver (Fractal R6), and have to put my ear next to the chassis to hear them. I'm using the NF-A12x25 PWMs (the balanced one of the 3 120mm fans)

ragametal

Contributor
@Patrick M. Hausen and @c77dk, I may have to learn how to live with the fan noise at least until the warranty expires. I contacted IXsystems and they told me that replacing the fan on their mini X+ systems would void the warranty which is a shame because it uses user replaceable and serviceable parts.

Anyway, that's the way the handle things.

ByteMan

Dabbler
So i have been contemplating the truenas mini X appliance but some online reviews are reporting noise levels around 38 dbA.
I can also confirm high noise level for a Mini X+ unit, but most of the unpleasant noise seems to come from the 40mm PSU fan. It is quite a bit louder than all other fans. Is this normal?
After removing the fan screws it easily slides out from the PSU and there are only 2 wires running to it. The wires extend into the internals and are not easily disconnected.
Would you have any advice how to reduce the noise level (aside from replacing the PSU)?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this normal?
Certainly not surprising.
Would you have any advice how to reduce the noise level (aside from replacing the PSU)?
Unfortunately, you're unlikely to find something noticeably quieter without replacing the PSU. Even then, it's far from certain.

HarryMuscle

Contributor
If you're after an "appliance" and want quiet, consider a QNAP unit. Most can run TrueNAS Scale. The TS-X73A series is a nice one for example and there are experienced out there of people running TrueNAS Scale without issue.

Thanks,
Harry

ByteMan

Dabbler
If you're after an "appliance" and want quiet, consider a QNAP unit. Most can run TrueNAS Scale. The TS-X73A series is a nice one for example and there are experienced out there of people running TrueNAS Scale without issue.
Generally this is good to know, but in this case I am specifically dealing with a TrueNAS Mini X+.
I am not familiar with the type of PSU used in these units - do they use a standardized build size one could use to find alternate units?