Zippy MRW-6400P mini redundant and cheap PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V4M

Dabbler
Some time ago one of my friendly shops, send me info about Chieftec mini redundant PSU.

It was surprise to me that someone is actually making such cool little things.

But then I had read price, and I has stick to standard solutions, like seasonics, corsairs, or other bequiets.

Recently when I had searching cool used stuff on one of those auction portals.

And I had found BICKER.de MRW-6400P mini redundant PSU, after some research it appears that Zippy (well known server PSU manufacturer) were making those PSU's.

So I bough 3 for 45$ total incl. shipment, just for fun.

After disassembling one unit I have almost no doubts that is zippy, in zippy manual everything is the same.

Only problem was that it was loud as an jet engine, using it in NAS were not a best idea.

After removing useless cables (P14 and MOLEX + FDD), I had solder fan to +5V instead +12V.

Noise level drops to acceptable levels, under load max temperature was 45 Celsius degrees (23 C in room).
i5-760 + HD7770 (unigine heaven + core damage single thr.)
Load was about 180W for most small NAS it is enough, taking 370W will require to set fans to 12V.
It has sick sound of four 40mm fans.

Main unit is on bottom, but second unit is taking about 30W from wall, after unplugging one unit second has +30W grater power consumption.

I think it is great PSU for NAS builds, it is server grade, it has redundancy, can be quite low noise, and it can be dirty cheap.

Modding single unit to standalone work is only matter of soldering wires to PCB, buzzer, and its logic is in main case.

Fan mod does not require to disassemble unit, all sockets are accesible from behind.

Also I think that chieftec also is selling rebranded zippy MRW units.

IMG_2768.JPG IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2772.JPG IMG_2807.JPG IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2816.JPG

Regards,

VV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.