PSU issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwck

Patron
Here is the deal. I have two systems both work totally fine, both are built be me.

PC-workstation- PSU is a 1000W EVGA GOLD PSU
NAS-details in footer- PSU is a 550W EVGA GOLD PSU

After contemplating and reading the "how to dimension the PSU" article I thought I might just switch the PSUs so the 1000W for the NAS and vica versa, should be easy.

Here is where I ran into an issue, after switching the PSUs neither of the PCs would boot, at first i thought well lets check the cables, etc yadda yadda. Everything was plugged in correctly, even in the wall plug was connected.

Then after neither of my PCs booted i thought fudge i must have fried both of my PSUs. However, after I reconnected the 550W PSU with my NAS system and plugged everything in the sucker started up no problem. Same for the workstation PC with the 1000W PSU.
At that point i was confused and was sure i just had done something wrong. So i repeated the swap, and again both MBs seem dead. Well, at the moment I have the 550W with my NAS installed and it works fine, however at some point in the future i'd like to upgrade to 14HDDs so i'd like to make this swap.

Does anyone had ever a similar experience? Or have I missed a development on the PSU/MOBO side of things.

For the heck of it here is also an image of my currently open NAS with things just dangling out, be heart attack prepared

Thanks for the help

IMG-20170215-WA0003.jpg

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you move the cables, too? They might be incompatible.

Zwck

Patron
I was under the assumptions that the cables don't really matter.
And that since I stuck with two evga psu it matters even less.
But I'll try it out. I'll let you know.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Zwck

Patron
Just a heads up, it was indeed just the MB cable.

Mr_N

Patron
MYSTERY SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.