Seasonic PSU

racielrod

Explorer
Hi,

I'm still working on my build which I have talked about in a previous thread.
I have almost everything but I need to pull the trigger and I think I'm over-thinking this part.
I think I'm settled on a 650W - these Seasonics have 10-12 years warranty so, while my current build would be just fine with 550W, I think I would rather get a 650W and keep some room to grow.
I'm currently between:
  1. Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650W ------------ ($99)
  2. Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 650W --------($119)
  3. Seasonic Prime Series Platinum 650W -- ($129)
I'm looking at:
- Overall ratings of the PSU
- Efficiency, which would translate in savings over the years I'm planning to run the PSU (plus I want the PSU to be efficient on low load).

Again, am I overthinking this too much?
Thoughts?

R. Rod

Calochortus

Dabbler
Probably over thinking it. I swapped from a gold? 850w to a platinum 550w and the net wattage change was ~8 watts (if the ups can be believed).

Even at CA's Tier2 rates and 24/7 usage it'll take years to amortize.

Seasonic is running rebates so you might find $30 off the platinum if you look around.

Pizza

Cadet
I have two Seasonic Focus+ Gold PSU's. A 750W powering my PC and a 650W powering my FreeNAS. Very satisfied with Seasonic PSU's. Super silent. Can't hear the fan at all.

racielrod

Explorer
Probably over thinking it. I swapped from a gold? 850w to a platinum 550w and the net wattage change was ~8 watts (if the ups can be believed).

Even at CA's Tier2 rates and 24/7 usage it'll take years to amortize.

Seasonic is running rebates so you might find $30 off the platinum if you look around.

Check on Seasonic's site and they seem to have a few rebates but not many for 650w - I think only for the Focus+ Gold.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realistically, any model you have there is more than good enough (for the given power level).

I also like the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with the higher-end stuff, but the differences are pretty marginal.

Back in the day, the top-of-the-line X-Series/Platinum units came with proper San Ace ball bearing fans, but these days it's glorified sleeve bearings for everyone, regardless of price.