BUILD Supermicro X11 Build Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadJock

Cadet
I'm looking to build a FreeNAS server for home/home office use - a mix of storage for pictures, music, video (Plex server), as well as data from scientific computing codes I use for work. This is my first FreeNAS build, and is partly a hobby project for me to get back into building systems, which I haven't done for a few years. If anyone has advice or comments, they'd be gratefully received.

Motherboard - Supermicro X11SSH-TF
CPU - Xeon E3-1230v5
Memory - 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2133 M391A2K43BB1-CPB, 32GB total
Disks - 7 x WD Red 4TB
Boot - MyDigitalSSD Super Boot Drive 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF SSD 16GB
Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi 2
PSU - SeaSonic 650W Power Supply SSR-650RM

I'm looking to use RAIDZ2 which should give me up to 16TB storage, and I hope this will last the next 3-4 years. Not looking to make any updates or expansions to it during that time.

My house is wired with Cat5e, and the main work computer will have a 10 GbE NIC, though everything else will be going through 1GbE switches for now (no other systems will really need/use >1 GbE yet). The two 10 GbE systems will be connected through a 10 GbE switch, though I was wondering if it were possible just to connect the two systems directly since they'll be in the same room, and each will have a dual port NIC.

I've avoided using a USB drive for boot since I see X11 boards cause problems there - I was looking for the cheapest SSD drive, and found the MyDigitalSSD for around $25. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations there?

Going with the stock cooler on the CPU.

Estimating about 450 to 500W peak power draw so going with a 650W. The Seasonic G series seems good, but also wondering if the X series is worth a look (X650 SS-650KM3). Not sure here.

Thanks for any input.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I've avoided using a USB drive for boot since I see X11 boards cause problems there
I don't think that's the case anymore, is it? I thought the latest 9.10's handled this situation. (I'm still on 9.3, so don't quote me).

PRetty sure you can now boot USB thumb drives on Skylake.

Dice

Wizard
@DrKK can be quoted on that. ;)

I think you're on the right track to go for a cheap SSD as boot device.
However, I <think> m.2 should be fine to use with 9.10, I'm not sure though.
@Ericloewe can perhaps give some confirmation?

Cheers /

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
USB works fine on Skylake systems with FreeNAS 9.10.

As for M.2, the OS supports AHCI and NVMe drives, as it's supposed to. However, the motherboard BIOS may have a bug that complicates booting to PCI-e SSDs.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I like your build ideas except for I believe the SSD boot device you picked will not work. The M.2 port is PCI-E, not SATA so I believe you need a SSD similar to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3JZ9116

These M.2 cards have notches in them so they cannot be inserted into the wrong type of port. Of course I could be wrong and I'm sure @Ericloewe will correct me.

I'd just recommend to keep it simple and buy a cheap 2.5" SSD and pop it into one of the spare SATA ports and boot from that.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
These M.2 cards have notches in them so they cannot be inserted into the wrong type of port. Of course I could be wrong and I'm sure @Ericloewe will correct me.
M.2 is massively convoluted. I think that you can't stick a SATA drive in a slot that only has PCI-e...

joeschmuck

Old Man
M.2 is massively convoluted. I think that you can't stick a SATA drive in a slot that only has PCI-e...
I agree with you, convoluted. From what I've read in the past is you need to buy the correct M.2 board for the interface presented on the M.2 slot.

There is a benefit to using an M.2 PCI-E slot, that is the SSD throughput is much faster than a SATA connected device. This would unfortunately not benefit a FreeNAS build at all and it would be a waste of money in my opinion.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I agree with you, convoluted. From what I've read in the past is you need to buy the correct M.2 board for the interface presented on the M.2 slot.

There is a benefit to using an M.2 PCI-E slot, that is the SSD throughput is much faster than a SATA connected device. This would unfortunately not benefit a FreeNAS build at all and it would be a waste of money in my opinion.
Probably better for L2ARC, though the X11SSH-F only provides two lanes instead of four.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Probably better for L2ARC, though the X11SSH-F only provides two lanes instead of four.
Oh no, don't get the OP going down that path... But 2 PCI lanes is pretty fast so while it's not corporate level, any small business would be happy to have it I'd think.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh no, don't get the OP going down that path... But 2 PCI lanes is pretty fast so while it's not corporate level, any small business would be happy to have it I'd think.
Oh, no, definitely not for this case. The L2ARC comment was just a general observation regarding the X11SSH-F...

MadJock

Cadet
Oh, no, definitely not for this case. The L2ARC comment was just a general observation regarding the X11SSH-F...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Looks like I can go with the USB for boot which simplifies things.

I'm not looking to use an SSD for caching, I'll expand the memory to 64GB before I go there, and my setup doesn't really need it.

rungekutta

Contributor
Doing a similar build, got the ARC Midi 2 delivered today. It's a beast. Very solid. 7 fan positions, 3 included. Can report back when I've put it all together, still waiting for the PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.