BUILD My 8 disk build and PSU options

Status
Not open for further replies.

J8K

Cadet
Hi all,
It is time for me to build a new freenas box. My current setup is a HP N54L with 16gb ram and 5 wd reds in a raidz2. I have been using it now for 4-5 years, no issues so far. :)

My new build: (already ordered)
Cpu: i3 6100
MB: Supermicro x11ssh-ln4f
Ram: 2x16gb crucial ecc udimm
Hdd: 3 more wd reds
Boot: mirrored usb sticks

My plan is to build a 8 disk raidz2.

Do you see anything wrong with this setup?

And to the final question...PSU?
I have read the guide for the sizing of power supplies.
I really like the EVGA G2 power supplies, have a 1000w already in another pc that Im thinking of using. (1 month old)
Is it a big overkill to use the 1000w in my build? Should i aim for something smaller?

I have a plan to add a m1015 and move my virtualized nfs storage to the freenas box sometime in the future, but not right now. It is 6 disks configured as striped mirrors. Would the 1000w be to small here? (8+6 disks)

I have three options as I see it:
1. Use my 1000w
2. Buy a ~650w psu (evga or seasonic) (and upgrade when/if needed)
3. Buy something 1000w++ to meet future expansion requirements.

Hopefully you guys can help me to decide. :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is it a big overkill to use the 1000w in my build? Should i aim for something smaller?
It can't really hurt and it'd be wasteful to get a smaller one just because.
Would the 1000w be to small here? (8+6 disks)
No, it would still have plenty of headroom.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi all,
It is time for me to build a new freenas box. My current setup is a HP N54L with 16gb ram and 5 wd reds in a raidz2. I have been using it now for 4-5 years, no issues so far. :)

My new build: (already ordered)
Cpu: i3 6100
MB: Supermicro x11ssh-ln4f
Ram: 2x16gb crucial ecc udimm
Hdd: 3 more wd reds
Boot: mirrored usb sticks

My plan is to build a 8 disk raidz2.

Do you see anything wrong with this setup?

And to the final question...PSU?
I have read the guide for the sizing of power supplies.
I really like the EVGA G2 power supplies, have a 1000w already in another pc that Im thinking of using. (1 month old)

I have a plan to add a m1015 and move my virtualized nfs storage to the freenas box sometime in the future, but not right now. It is 6 disks configured as striped mirrors. Would the 1000w be to small here? (8+6 disks)

I have three options as I see it:
1. Use my 1000w
2. Buy a ~650w psu (evga or seasonic) (and upgrade when/if needed)
3. Buy something 1000w++ to meet future expansion requirements.

Hopefully you guys can help me to decide. :)

Generally speaking, 1's a reasonable choice, but if you do run into mysterious problems, try a different PSU. Some PSU's will be twitchy if they're not seeing sufficient load.

The 1000W PSU ought to be fine for 14 disks too.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Some PSU's will be twitchy if they're not seeing sufficient load.
I don't think that's been a problem ever since group-regulated designs fell out of fashion.
When PSU manufacturers stayed advertising "Haswell compatibility" (due to the new low power states), everyone just went "well duh, your PSU is a large switch mode regulated +12V source with a bunch of DC to DC converters shoved in for the minor rails".

if you do run into mysterious problems, try a different PSU.
Always good advice. PSUs are often overlooked, especially during troubleshooting.

CraigD

Patron
I would look at the curve for you PSU most tank in efficiency below 20% load so if you are above 20% load fine

https://hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwA7...5F2KkrP7GWwMmsP0m4AxR1Oac+xCUjFvcv1/image.png

image.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It isn't clear that this is actually representative of actual loading, especially below 20%. The 80+ certification process could have been more useful if it gathered a few more data points, including down by 10%, and a few other intermediate steps.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It isn't clear that this is actually representative of actual loading, especially below 20%. The 80+ certification process could have been more useful if it gathered a few more data points, including down by 10%, and a few other intermediate steps.
80+ Titanium introduces requirements at 10%, and they're on the strict side, too.

Too bad older certifications don't...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
80+ Titanium introduces requirements at 10%, and they're on the strict side, too.

Too bad older certifications don't...

That might mean more to me if there were reasonable units available. I know Seasonic's been talking about their new "prime" stuff, but it appears to be more smoke than power supply.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That might mean more to me if there were reasonable units available. I know Seasonic's been talking about their new "prime" stuff, but it appears to be more smoke than power supply.
Apparently, they have a shipping container on their way to Europe at the moment. No word on US release dates...

Other than that, nearly every Titanium unit is a monster on the order of a kilowatt.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Know anything about being a modern day pirate? :)
The logistics are horrible.

Besides container ships being a hard target to hit ( They are large, reasonably quick and don't really feel threatened by a small boat full of guys with AKs), you also have to get rid of all the stuff you don't want. For every container full of power supplies, there are about 2 containers full of sex toys and other crap you don't want; plus all the other containers with valuable goods. What do you do with those?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Throw them overboard, I would imagine. We'll have to remember to bring a mecha suit, those damn things are heavy.
You can't do that at sea, the ship needs ballast.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Why would I care about the ship? It's not like I'm proposing to take it on a cruise! Just need to find the container with the titanium supplies, the rest is garbage.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You seem to have thought this through very carefully. I think we should be concerned by that...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You seem to have thought this through very carefully. I think we should be concerned by that...

Only if you're on the waiting list. Whaddathink happened to all the GTX 1080's?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not unless you're involved in the shipping business.

J8K

Cadet
Generally speaking, 1's a reasonable choice, but if you do run into mysterious problems, try a different PSU. Some PSU's will be twitchy if they're not seeing sufficient load.

The 1000W PSU ought to be fine for 14 disks too.

This sounds good to me. I will start with the 1000w and see how it works out.
Thanks for the help.

ARRRR.....go pirates!

Status
Not open for further replies.