New Build PSU Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
I'm currently running a RAM test on the bench before fitting the parts into the case. I have a choice of PSU as I already have an Antec VP550P 550W (used) or an Enermax EGX850EWL 850W (older but unused & boxed) Having read various threads about PSUs and efficiency, I'm after opinions as to which, if either, PSU I should choose. The Antec is non modular and has 5 SATA power plugs. The Enermax is hybrid modular and has more than 12 SATA power plugs. Has anyone any experience of either PSU and is the Enermax overkill given the spec below. Typical usage is data storage, file server, torrent use, plex server for now. Thanks.

M/B - X10SL7-F (Amazon UK)
RAM - 4 x 8Gb Crucial CT102472BD160B (Amazon UK)
CPU - Xeon E3-1231-V3 (Scan)
Case - Fractal Design R4 (Scan)
HDDs - TBC 6-8 Drives

PSU - EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Antec is closer in size to what I'd recommend; https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/

As in "it's exactly there." The downside to the Antec is that it is a used PSU, and judging from reviews, it is about 5 years old, which places it closer to the end of its service life than to the beginning. You may wish to contemplate whether or not it would bother you if it were to fail and start frying your parts. Low chance of that happening, but, still, an issue to consider.

The Enermax is even older...? The upside there would be that if you were to want to add more disks later, that might be a good choice. However, PSU age issue again.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply. I'd had a good look at the sizing guide you linked too and also decided that 550w should be enough and had I not had these two PSUs already I would have already bought a 550W Seasonic.

The age of both PSUs were a cause for concern, but I have been running both attached to a test motherboard and CPU running Memtest86 without any issues. The Antec is quieter, but just doesn't have the flexibility of the Enermax, which is unused, but has sat unopened for at least 5 years! I'll have to give a new Seasonic unit some more thought .... it's only money!

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The things is even the best capacitors have a limited life time and 5 years is already pushing it on crappy caps (like there's probably inside the Enermax PSU...) so yeah, personally I'd not risk the whole server just to use a pretty old PSU I already have, it's (maybe) ok for a desktop but not a server IMHO ;)

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The things is even the best capacitors have a limited life time and 5 years is already pushing it on crappy caps (like there's probably inside the Enermax PSU...) so yeah, personally I'd not risk the whole server just use an pretty old PSU I already have, it's (maybe) ok for a desktop but not a server IMHO ;)

And please do consider that both @Bidule0hm and I have backgrounds in electronics, though I'm happy to let him wear that particular hat. ;-)

See if you can eBay the Enermax...?

DiViDeR

Dabbler
Thanks again for your input ... time for some more shopping ;)

DiViDeR

Dabbler
I settled on an EVGA Supernova G2 650W. PSU had good reviews and compared favourably with the Seasonic. Furthermore I had to take into account the length of cable needed to feed the 24 & 8 pin connectors from the PSU to the motherboard using the holes provided in the Fractal R4. Even with the longer cables provided with the EVGA PSU, it was a bit of a stretch!

Status
Not open for further replies.