TrueNAS Core-VM on Proxmox - cant add pool "Disks have duplicate serial numbers: '' (da0, da1, da2)

dakazze

Cadet
Hey!

I am running a TrueNAS Core VM on my Proxmox server and I am trying to add a new pool consisting of 2 identical external USB-HDDs.

(there already was a lot of talk about the issues that may arise from this configuration but I have my reasons to go this suboptimal route)

I have tried passing the USB devices to TrueNAS and passing the USB controller itself. Using both works and TrueNAS sees the disks, original serial numbers included.

1683141841567.png

1683141787791.png

1683141744704.png

Any idea what else I could do?
(already rebooted)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Don't use USB disks for data pools with TrueNAS.

dakazze

Cadet
There already was a large discussion about this and I have my reason to do so.
This issue should be workable even in this constellation

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The middleware is throwing a validation error on disks da0, da1, and da2 - notably, not part of your pool, but the middleware still doesn't seem to like this.

You'll need to append the value ,serial=ABCDEFG-XXXXXXX to your disk value in the vm.conf file in a manner such as:

Code:
virtio0: local:100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,cache=writeback,size=32G,serial=XXXX-YYYY-YOURSERIAL

Repeat this for each virtual disk. Once that's done, a full power-cycle (not a reboot) of the machine is required in order to make them visible/usable to the guest OS.

As stated previously in this thread (although I can't find any other discussions on this point by you?) USB drives for data disks are not recommended for a number of reasons, and the use of a VM for TrueNAS could further compound the issue. Please ensure you're aware of all of the risks.

@dakazze : Unfortunately it's what @Patrick M. Hausen said; TrueNAS isn't the typical BSD or Linux system, it's designed for Datacenter-type use. However, you could perhaps use ext2 or exFAT under Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server (which is Ubuntu without the graphical environment).

IF you're using inexpensive Chinese USB it may not work, which if that's the case Windows should work for you, though only if the drives are in the same ports and the system is powered on the same and the system adds them in the same order each time (typically). HOWEVER, the USB drive life may be less than what one would expect, your actual results will of course vary.

dakazze

Cadet
@HoneyBadger
Thank you very much!

I already had this discussion at the Prox forums and on reddit.
Thing is, I am running a homeserver on a pretty powerful thin client with an 8-Core i7 for VPN, Webserver, Media Center and Home assistant. Since I still have enough resources and I dont want to add another computer that draws power and takes up space I decided to get a NAS running on it too.
Major downside is that I have NO expansion options except USB. No PCI slots, no NVME or additional SATA ports.
My most important data has a additional cloud BU and the rest there is to store and share will not kill me in the case of a total loss.

dakazze

Cadet
Sorry, cant edit posts yet (still under new user supervision):
To make everything less crummy I got 2 high quality HDDs and 2 high quality enclosures with UASP, SMART and Trim that have known good sata controllers.

dakazze

Cadet
@HoneyBadger
When I add the serial part for all drives in my conf the VM wont boot.
Console repeats this line over and over while trying to boot until it stops:
ROOT MOUNT WAITING FOR: CAM

rolling back it boots fine again

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
@HoneyBadger
When I add the serial part for all drives in my conf the VM wont boot.
Console repeats this line over and over while trying to boot until it stops:
ROOT MOUNT WAITING FOR: CAM

rolling back it boots fine again
Hmm. I don't have a Proxmox/KVM system handy to test (other than a virtual SCALE machine) so I'm afraid I'm unsure. It might have an issue where it's generated new GUIDs for the disks based off the serial numbers that are now present, so it's having issues finding/mounting the boot-pool.

dakazze

Cadet
@HoneyBadger
Thank you anyway!
I really appreciate your help!

Strange is that via google I find lots of people who did excatly that to get things working and it seems that I am the only one having issues, doing the exact same thing...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Strange is that via google I find lots of people who did excatly that to get things working and it seems that I am the only one having issues, doing the exact same thing...

Unlikely. The serial number handling for most USB adapters is sort of screwed up; summarized neatly by @Arwen in

You can luck out, but more often not.

dakazze

Cadet
OKOK Server administration = insanity
Sometimes doing the same stuff over and over again does help...
try
rollback
fail
rollback
try
fail
rollback
try
success

Now my System Drives that are managed by Proxmox have an imaginery serial and the new drives have a serial anyway. Right now everything seems to be in order!

Dice

Wizard
I feel the need to harshly remind you about the context you are getting yourself into with this shenanigan:
  • You are prepared to loose the data on those drives without even a second of remorse.
  • When you face disaster, the place to go is already lined out:
already had this discussion at the Prox forums and on reddit.

With that said, have fun with your project.

dakazze

Cadet
@Dice thank you for the reminder but I really already know that and as I already stated, my most important data is secured to the cloud anyway so a full loss would just be an inconvenience.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
my most important data is secured to the cloud anyway

You do realize that data stored in the cloud may actually be stored much less reliably than ZFS stores stuff on a local disk, right?