TrueNAS 13-U1: Web interface could not be accessed

fastzombies

Explorer
I have been having an issue with TrueNAS Core 13 suddenly locking up, blank screen, lights on but nobody is home. If I reboot everything comes back for a while but then it happens again. The machine doesn't respond to reset button or holding power so I am concerned I have a motherboard problem.

Before spending money and ripping it apart I tried an upgrade to 13-U1 but now the interface doesn't get enabled and I am totally dead in the water.

I have an ASROCK B550M Pro motherboard and I just now learning that the 2.5Gb Realtek LAN isn't so good for FreeBSD or Linux. I have an Intel 520 that is recognized and seems to work fine, but I don't know how to use API to switch from the motherboard Realtek LAN to the 520.

Can someone please tell me how to do this via API? I'd rather not have to buy another motherboard and have to rebuild if I don't have to.

fastzombies

Explorer
Here is a screenshot with hopefully some relevant information:
1670524967107.png

fastzombies

Explorer
Any takers? I've ordered another motherboard with an Intel LAN (not many choices with AMD AM4 socket) in case I can't get this figured out. I hope it is not the CPU itself. Stinks having all my services offline.

MisterE2002

Patron
if i understand correctly. It hangs at certain point. You still see something like your picture? But keyboard is not working anymore. Then the first suspect would be the memory. If it is a (kernel) crash you would expect a wall of debug text.

fastzombies

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Before upgradign TrueNAS Core to teh version above the interface would come up and web console accessible. After the upgrade the interfaces stopped working. Both then and now, at some point the screen goes blank and the system is unresponsive. Pressing reset or holding power button does nothing. I have to kill the power supply to shut off.

Now, after the upgrade, while the screen is up you see the pic above. The OS seems responsive but neither the onboard LAN (realtek, I think) or the Intel 520 PCIe card seem to work.

If memory was bad I assume I would not get this far, but I don't know. I don't know how to run any self-diagnostics. Any hints are appreciated.

fastzombies

Explorer
Ok thanks for the tip. Will give that a try before I rebuild, I am really dreading that process.

fastzombies

Explorer
To further test hardware I tried running Fedora Live and there were no issues. The RealTek LAN and the Intel 520 were both recognized and got IPs from router.

Then I found NomadBSD, a live bootable USB FreeBSD. The RealTek LAN is not recognized, but the Intel 520 is and gets an IP.

Both continued to run without any crash or blank screen like TrueNAS Core does. So far it looks like this is a TrueNAS Core problem and not a hardware issue. I think if I use API/CLI to switch interface from the RealTek LAN to the Intel 520 I might recover. I can disable the RealTek LAN on the BIOS settings to eliminate possible issues.

Does anyone know how to change default interface using API? If I cannot get a web console then I don't know what else to do. This seems like a severe vulerability that if you cannot get to web console your system is dead in the water.

LarsR

Guru
For some AMD cpu's you need to change some bios power saving settings because freebsd doesnt play nice with them.
Disable amd Cool&Quiet, erp-ready and global c-states.

fastzombies

Explorer
Ok thanks, will look into it. I can see how those might cause blank screen, do you think those settings will have anything to do with LAN devices not being recognized?

LarsR

Guru
Those settings cut power to certain hardware components when the cpu is mostly idle and truenas doesnt like that and hard locks. For me it happened with my 1600x every 2-3 Days.

fastzombies

Explorer
Good info, thanks. Wish I would have known this beforehand.

Would TrueNAS Scale behave differently not being FreeBSD? What is it, Debian based? I really don't want to migrate right now, I don't have that kind of bandwidth to try and recover my NextCloud and Plex settings. If I would have known all this I would gone with Scale and never touched Core in the first place.

artlessknave

Wizard
if you reset your network from the console UI it will accept connections on any interface it finds, similar to first setup

Nvisible

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Before upgradign TrueNAS Core to teh version above the interface would come up and web console accessible. After the upgrade the interfaces stopped working. Both then and now, at some point the screen goes blank and the system is unresponsive. Pressing reset or holding power button does nothing. I have to kill the power supply to shut off.
I am experiencing exact same behavior on completely different hardware. Running TrueNAS Core on Intel CPU i5-760 on LGA 1156 socket with 12GB or RAM. Unfortunately my NIC is based on Realtec chip which is not supported and I don't have any other NIC installed so I am suspecting this card is causing the problem being the only common component in @fastzombies configuration and mine.

It also started happening with V13, so I am thinking to go back to V12.

@fastzombies any luck with getting to the bottom of this issue?

artlessknave

Wizard
while the optimal path is going to be getting supported hardware, SCALE would likely handle the realtek NIC better, as linux typically has better support than freebsd for subpar hardware drivers, largely because there just are more linux devs who try to get things working.

other alternatives are the linux based NAS's, like unraid or OMV