Web interface could not be accessed 12.0-U7

rrob77dm

Cadet
I am having issues with the initial installation/configuration of my TrueNas Core system:
Installation and reboot go normal, but when the system gets to the Console Setup screen with the 11 choices, below the choices I get the text:
  • “The web interface could not be accessed”.
  • “Please check network configuration”
I built the system using brand new parts and thought it might be a driver issue with the ethernet Lan. So, I installed Windows10 (temporarily) just to see if I could connect (via the LAN NOT the Wifi) to the Internet and download the updates for the motherboard. I was able to access the Internet and downloaded/updated both the chipset and the LAN drivers. So, the motherboard seems to be operated properly.
I reinstalled TrueNAs and get to the same point where it says “The web interface could not be access.....”
I am at a loss. A little backstory, I took an old system just to see if I could successfully make a NAS using TrueNas Core (12.0-U7). It was an old FX6300 on an old/cheap ASUS motherboard. I was able to install, configure, and use the system. It worked like a champ – on the first try too. Since it was a very old system with intermittent problems, I decide to get new part and make a permanent NAS.

System:
  • TrueNas Core 12.0-U7
  • Motherboard: Asus Tuf B560M-Plus Wifi (FYI: I did not try to use the wifi)
  • CPU: I3-10105
  • Drives: 2 Samsung 870 250GB SSD (one for boot, one for cache), 2 WD Red 4TB, 1 WD 1TB Blue
  • All part purchased in December 2021
Misc Info
  • No changes have been made to any settings in TrueNas (all at default)
  • No changes have been made to any settings in the BIOS (all at default)
  • During installation, TreuNas sees/recognizes all drives installed
  • I did NOT update the motherboard BIOS
I’m just truly stumped. My prototype build with the AMD FX6300 was totally successful – on the first try.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Thanks in Advanced...Rob

rrob77dm

Cadet
UPDATE: Just for laughs, I plugged in an old USB-to-Ethernet adapter into a USB 3.0 port and booted the computer. IT WORKED. TrueNas recognized it and it is listed as a "Web User Interface" with an http address listed.

Now I'm extra stumped. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Asus Tuf B560M-Plus

Yeah, that's a gaming board, and has some newish Realtek ethernet on it.

We generally suggest that you buy off of the recommended hardware lists available in the Resources, which will usually get you a decent server-oriented mainboard, highly compatible (usually Intel) ethernet, etc.

NAS does not require the latest or greatest, but it does require parts known to perform well under intense stress. This includes having mature drivers and good support, neither of which tend to be the case for the latest gear.

rrob77dm

Cadet
Yeah, that's a gaming board, and has some newish Realtek ethernet on it.

We generally suggest that you buy off of the recommended hardware lists available in the Resources, which will usually get you a decent server-oriented mainboard, highly compatible (usually Intel) ethernet, etc.

NAS does not require the latest or greatest, but it does require parts known to perform well under intense stress. This includes having mature drivers and good support, neither of which tend to be the case for the latest gear.

Thank you so much for the quick respond!!

So, is the built-in Lan port on my motherboard not compatible or do I need to update a driver....or something else? Would getting a PCIe NIC be a solution? A better solution compared to a USB adapter? Would getting a compatible motherboard be the best solution???

Also, I looked at the website and could not find a recommended hardware list under the Resource tab on the website. Would this list have recommended motherboards and/or NICs?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated and once again thank you for the quick response.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
is the built-in Lan port on my motherboard not compatible

I don't know. But you came here saying it didn't work, and that adding a common USB dongle for ethernet did.

do I need to update a driver...

TrueNAS is an appliance OS, and there is no sanctioned way to do "driver updates" other than to wait for an update of the system firmware.

The Intel Desktop CT ethernet interfaces are highly compatible, despite the word "desktop"; the chipset is quality, and the driver is authored by a team at Intel that have put a lot of time and effort into performance optimizations.

We usually suggest people use server-oriented mainboards for the same reason gamers use gaming boards rather than desktop boards -- they're optimized towards the job. Server mainboards won't require a GPU, will have Intel or other high-performance ethernets, usually have management features like IPMI, support ECC memory, will be optimized towards PCIe x8 slots (common in servers), will have components rated for 24/7/365 duty, etc.

This doesn't mean you can't USE other boards, it's just a matter of frustration, etc.

could not find a recommended hardware list under the Resource tab on the website

Look for "Hardware Recommendations Guide" or "FreeNAS Quick Hardware Guide".

If you're interested in the WHY instead of just specific part suggestions, have a read through

It's nearly ten years old, but it talks in somewhat better detail about the whys. Also, most of the parts mentioned would still make a very serviceable NAS even today.

pschatz100

Guru
As has been mentioned, this is a gaming motherboard and will include a lot of features not being used by TrueNAS.

I would do the following:
1. Update the bios to the latest version
2. Go into the bios and turn off all the features that are not used by FreeNAS - Any overclocking, sound, LED support, "advanced" usb functions, and advanced or enhanced networking features. Also, disable the WiFi - there is no support for it in TrueNAS.

Asus often provides enhancements that require support from the OS. Windows will have them, FreeBSD will not. If turning off enhanced network features does not help with the network problem, then your only other option would be to purchase an Intel-based PCIe networking card. There is lots of discussion about this in the forum.

billxsand

Cadet
Hey Rob, did you ever figure this out? Just getting into it with my former gaming mobo. I am ready for the headache !!

rrob77dm

Cadet
Yes I did. I had to order a separate NIC. Plug and Play and worked like a charm. This is the one I got:

Intel I210T1 PCI-Express Network Adapter​

Good luck!!

billxsand

Cadet
Hey I ended up doing the same thing but here is the card I got ogg ebay

PCIe intel I210 GbE Network card​

ankit.irse

Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFVWqjPQ8g&t=54s watch this YouTube video. Problem solved .........BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: