Web interface could not be accessed -- 12.0-U8

Hello friends.

I'm getting the error message in the title when doing the initial setup of TrueNAS 12.0-U8. Searching around has suggested that the problem is that my hardware is not compatible. That hardware being a "MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI" which has "Realtek® RTL8125B 2.5Gbps LAN controller" as its network adapter. Yes yes, I know, "gaming motherboard". I've always treated "gaming" motherboards as just marketing. It had never crossed my mind that there would actually be any "gaming" optimizations, or that it wouldn't be fit for other purposes. But here I am all the same...

My questions are: How screwed am I? Is there any way to make my current hardware compatible, some driver or setting or anything? I'm not particularly interested in buying another motherboard and rebuilding the entire system, and a NIC isn't an option because I'm using the one PCIe slot for a SAS controller. If TrueNAS just won't work for my hardware, can anyone suggest any alternatives that will (Unraid? Some linux distro?)?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You could try TrueNAS SCALE which is Linux based instead of FreeBSD.

MrRush

Cadet
I had the same issue in TrueNAS SCALE using the onboard ethernet on an Asus Pro WS X570-ACE. I was stumped for about an hour and was worried it might be a hardware issue.

eventually I realized that I never told the device how to determine its IP during installation. My network devices use static IPs, so DHCP could not be found. simply plugging the device directly into my internet router allowed it to configure the web interface next time it booted, and I was able to then log into the web interface and continue configuring.