Truenas 13 cant show my hdd

Niamu

Dabbler
Motherboard: X10SLM-F
SAS 9341-8i

Im new iand just install truenas 13 in my computer. I have broblem... I cant see my hdd (8pci) and can see only my ssd (sata place) where i have installed my truenas. What i need to do next? I have tried google about 3 hours and maybe next i throw my computer out of window heh :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The 9341-8i is a RAID controller; please see

You may be able to use it if you can crossflash it to an LSI 9300 in IT mode, otherwise, it is not expected to work reliably (or maybe even at all).

Niamu

Dabbler
The 9341-8i is a RAID controller; please see

You may be able to use it if you can crossflash it to an LSI 9300 in IT mode, otherwise, it is not expected to work reliably (or maybe even at all).

1. First, download the firmware .zip file included by clicking the orange download button in the upper right corner of this resource.

2. Unzip the .zip file and go to the newly created firmware directory

3. Copy SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

4. cd to the directory you copied the firmware file

5. Run this command: sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

sorry for my stupidity but where i can run this command? I think i need someone hold my hands :D

Niamu

Dabbler

1. First, download the firmware .zip file included by clicking the orange download button in the upper right corner of this resource.

2. Unzip the .zip file and go to the newly created firmware directory

3. Copy SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

4. cd to the directory you copied the firmware file

5. Run this command: sas3flash -o -f SAS9300_xx_IT.bin

sorry for my stupidity but where i can run this command? I think i need someone hold my hands :D

that mean i have newest firmfire?

jgreco

Resident Grinch

that mean i have newest firmfire?

No, it means you have the wrong thing.

This isn't just updating firmware. It is putting an entirely different kind of firmware on the card, one that transforms it from a RAID controller into an HBA.

There are a variety of resources out there that explain how to change various cards into a 9300. I don't have a guide readily available.

Niamu

Dabbler
No, it means you have the wrong thing.

This isn't just updating firmware. It is putting an entirely different kind of firmware on the card, one that transforms it from a RAID controller into an HBA.

There are a variety of resources out there that explain how to change various cards into a 9300. I don't have a guide readily available.
Can i see somewhere what hardware i need to buy what can work my truenas 13?

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Traditionally LSI/Broadcom HBAs are recommended. Just not RAIDs, but HBAs, that is why you was proposed to reflash. I'd recommend to go towards 12Gb ones, since 6Gb 92xx while still working are too long out of vendor support. Like these ones: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters , but 93xx and 94xx HBA lines should also be fine.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Those pictures are showing a MegaRAID 9341 controller. Please get rid of the MegaRAID and replace it with an HBA. You can either crossflash the existing card, or replace it with a 9300.

Niamu

Dabbler
Those pictures are showing a MegaRAID 9341 controller. Please get rid of the MegaRAID and replace it with an HBA. You can either crossflash the existing card, or replace it with a 9300.
Cant flash older version.

Niamu

Dabbler
Nobody's saying to use an "older version". You can't use ANY version of MegaRAID. You have to REPLACE it.
Like this guide? https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...00-8i-success-but-no-smart-pass-through.3522/

First step when need do something and ...

Only guide what i can found and try google it for ages. I have try to look many youtube videos how they to 92xx card but no luck too.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I don't know. I tend to just buy cards I know will work well, most of my cards are Supermicro 3008 cards. As I said above, I don't have a guide available for the 9341-8i.

@Stilez has a general guide to crossflashing, but I am getting the sense English is not your first language, and the level of detail here may be beyond what is "safe" for a new user in a foreign language. This may be playing with fire to point you at this, but the only thing I can do to help you is to suggest a different card, or trying to crossflash. See

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Time to sell the RAID controller on ebay and buy a better suited HBA.

Niamu

Dabbler
what can i need to buy? Ebay have is about 1 million cards what they say to work truenas

Last edited:

neofusion

Contributor
Another thing I noticed looking at your screenshots is that your card is running hot at 81 ºC, presumably while mostly idle.
That suggests you lack sufficient airflow over your PCI-E slots.

Whether or not you manage to reflash it or find a better card won't matter if you cook the card in the end.

Niamu

Dabbler
Again my luck. I took a risk and bought a card that was close to me and it was ir mode too heh

Last edited by a moderator:

neofusion

Contributor
Again my luck. I took a risk and bought a card that was close to me and it was ir mode too heh
They often are, unless specifically marketed TrueNAS/etc users.
Fortunately the card you have now should be possible to flash to IT-mode. Many people use that model successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Those cards have officially two firmwares (IR and IT), different only whether they support RAID features or not, so switching between them is trivial. But either should work fine with TrueNAS, not creating problems with hot-plug and other things that pure RAID cards often do, so you may leave it just as-is. The main downside is that the card is from 92xx series, which as I have told above is very old.