SOLVED system over haul, adding expander

ghost reaper

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

Going be doing some upgrades (wife approval :smile:)

Im running
truenas core 13.0
24bay case with blanks
Motherboard: X11SSL-F
9341-8i crossflash to LSI 9300-8i IT mode (cable SAS split to sata connected to back panel)
7x4tb nas hdd
1x512gb ssd
i got 8 new 8tb red plus coming soon i hope.

just don't have enough room with sata ports available with LSI and motherboard ports,
looking at getting expander but not sure what still new to mini sas, wanna make sure it works with my card. (not too expensive i hope approval was for hdd's:wink:)
Intel RES2SV240 but it 6gb, only one i seen atm.

Aswell looking at upgrading to scale, it suit my needs better, should i do fresh install or upgrade since i been upgrading system from freenas days.
i know i lose my plugins/jails doesn't bother me. and then import my pool.

Cheers.
Luke

artlessknave

Wizard
for spinning rust, SAS2 is all you need. SAS1 really, but sas2 gives you a bit of room with the expander.
RES2SV240 will do just fine. unless the SSD is SAS3, SAS2 is, again, all you need.
also has the advantage of being powerable by either PCIe OR molex.

there is a SAS3 equavalent but it will be ~3x the price for 0 actual benefit.

should i do fresh install or upgrade since i been upgrading system from freenas days.
either are supported.
looking at getting expander but not sure what still new to mini sas, wanna make sure it works with my card. (not too expensive i hope approval was for hdd's:wink:)
sff-8043 to sff-8087 for the RES2SV240

artlessknave

Wizard
oh. hmm. maybe not be that different in price. eg.

sff-8043 on both sides if you were to get that sas3 one. might be able to find better prices, but that seller is known for not having fakes.
you would ignore the external ports. though, if you are mounting it internally with molex power, i suppose you could get some sff-8043 to sff-8044 cables for moar ports.

ghost reaper

Dabbler
Rodger cheers for info.

ssd will be left on motherboard port internally.
hard thing is trying find stuff in Australia, is there way tell different from fake gear or just don't buy china.

aec-8288T will cost over $300 aud come from US the one you mention. rest is china
RES2SV240 $125 AUD in Australia from it company

For future is there any benefit going 12gb card? or sata back panel is holding me back.

Cheers
Luke

artlessknave

Wizard
For future is there any benefit going 12gb card? or sata back panel is holding me back.
if it is directly attached to the backplane or disks, with no expander, it's the same as a cable. all SAS/ cables are currently capable of any SAS speed. SATA uses the same cables but the controller is crappier and cant do speeds or distance the same.

for the expanders fakes seem to be less likely. the fakes are mostly LSI SAS controllers and Intel NICs. the volume of the expanders is likely far too small

ssd will be left on motherboard port internally.
this is the way.

RES2SV240 $125 AUD in Australia from it company
I would just go with this. maybe keep an eye for a decent priced SAS3, but the sas2 will do you just fine for platters.

ghost reaper

Dabbler
No worries, cheers for clarifying couple things for me.