Using two HBAs on one SAS Expander

metaleggman

Cadet
If I put two LSI 9207-414e HBA cards into my server, and hooked up their SF-8088 ports to a JBOD with a two SF-8087 input SAS expander (like this one) via a SF-8088 to SF-8087 PCI adapter, would this setup work properly? Or would I be better off getting an HBA with dual SF-8088 outputs (like a LSI 9201-16e) and an HBA with internal SF-8087 connectors (like a LSI 9201-8i)? I need some extra inputs internally, as well as connections for a future JBOD enclosure. I'm not really sure if there are benefits or drawbacks to either, and they'd be about the same price, either set of cards. Thanks in advance.

Nick2253

Wizard
I wasn't able to find good documentation on that specific SAS expander, but in general, the SAS expanders work with either one or two "input" ports, and then give you X output ports.

For the example you're looking at, you should be able to do all 16 disks using one SF-8087 port. If you want to use two ports, then your HBAs have to support multi-path IO. In my experience, this either "just works™" or is a huge pain to futz with.

Reactions: ECC

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
"dual SF-8088 outputs and an HBA with internal SF-8087 connectors" would give you 8x wide-porting on the JBOD. It should work if 8-wide ports are supported by the expander. I am not sure it makes much sense for so small expander and old HBA, unless you have some vefy fast drives in that JBOD, but if you have spare cables I see no reason not to.

The other configuration with two cables from different HBAs to the same expander supposed to work in perfect world SAS theory, but I would not recommend it. I am not sure that all firmwares will handle it properly, plus it require multipath support from sortware, that creates unreasoinable additional overheards.

metaleggman

Cadet
The other configuration with two cables from different HBAs to the same expander supposed to work in perfect world SAS theory, but I would not recommend it. I am not sure that all firmwares will handle it properly, plus it require multipath support from sortware, that creates unreasoinable additional overheards.
Yeah, it seems like it's overcomplicated something; I should use a KISS mindset for this upgrade lol. And yeah, ArtofServer told me I'd be plenty fine populating both the expander and the internal connectors for the cards I was speaking to him about, so I should be able to get away with just the one card anyways.

Thanks for the responses!