Emulex LPE12000 and TrueNAS 13 CORE setup for 2022

FrankD21022

Cadet
Hello all. I am trying to get my fiber adapter working in TrueNAS box to be FC target. The card is installed and running I just cannot see it in the web interface anywhere. New to TrueNAS but not computer / IT field. Need some assistance. I have attached my dashboard screenshot and my LSPCI output. Please let me know what else i need to do.

• Motherboard make and model - PowerEdge 840
  • CPU make and model - Old Xeon Quadcore
  • RAM quantity - 4GB
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives - 1 HDD @ 1 SSD
  • Hard disk controllers - 2 port Sata HBA (non RAID)
  • Network cards - Onboard 1GB NIC and 1 Emulex Corporation LPe12000 Series 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter (rev 03) (dual port)

This is a low-end old server and its only purpose is nonproduction of server ISO over FC to my Proxmox VMs. And a SMB fileshare.
Also i have a fiberswitch: EMC DS-300B

Thanks,
F

Attachments

• FDD TrueNas Setup 2.png
    FDD TrueNas Setup 2.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 180
  • FDD TrueNas 13 SYSCTL Output 8-26-22.txt
    2 KB · Views: 151
  • FDD TrueNas 13 LSPCI Output 8-26-22.txt
    72 KB · Views: 114

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, you only have 25% of the minimum required RAM for TrueNAS 13. But the bigger issue is that TrueNAS CORE just doesn't support fiber channel very well. See:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
RAM quantity - 4GB

Block storage such as virtual machine disk files typically requires additional RAM; for purposes of this discussion, iSCSI is roughly equivalent to FC. Please see

for an explanation of why memory stresses for this kind of storage are increased. We typically recommend a minimum of 64GB for block storage applications, although for very modest uses, 32GB of system memory is probably workable. 4GB is not even enough to run TrueNAS.

• 1 Emulex Corporation LPe12000 Series 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter (rev 03) (dual port)

The Emulex cards generally don't seem to work well. I don't recall what the favored cards are, but even with "favored" cards, it is worth noting that FC is not officially supported and you may not end up being able to manage it through the GUI.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I don't recall what the favored cards are, but even with "favored" cards, it is worth noting that FC is not officially supported and you may not end up being able to manage it through the GUI.
QLogic is the vendor, any card supported by the isp driver will work.

But the second part of the statement is 100% correct in that CORE has zero official support for FC.

If you're planning to make an SMB share available from this machine, I'd suggest just making an NFS export as well and pointing ProxMox to that.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
QLogic is the vendor,

You are awesome, thanks for that. I knew it was right the instant I saw it, just the same way alarm bells go off in my head when I see Emulex. But I just can't for the life of me get QLogic to stick in my head...

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
I was going to say that there is also ocs_fc(4) driver in FreeBSD and TrueNAS, that supports some of Emulex FC adapter, but in the man page I see only later cards, LPe15000 and up.