Truenas 13.1 upgrade to 13.2 network card doesn't show up

Hello, I have a older core i3 computer running Truenas 13.1
Have a Asus PCE-C2500 2.5gb network card installed, no driver from me needed working fine.
This is a back up computer for my other True Nas Scale.
Did the web upgrade to the new 13.2 version rebooted, computer did not come up.

Was busy tried to reboot computer, nothing came up.
Today I ran a hdmi cable to it see whats up. Computer booted fine, server is up. no ip.

Plugged network cable into motherboard nic, i got a ip.
Logged into truenas, it does not see the 2.5gb network card now.
Reverted back to 13.1 and I am back running at 2.5gb.

So how do I fix this, and why is it upgrading .1 makes truenas not see the nic card.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Its the first item in the Known issues section of the release notes:

We removed the driver due to it causing corruption... If you have that particular 2.5Gb NIC you are better off using SCALE on the box.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you're not serving iSCSI on this board, you could follow the work-around in the release notes, and create a LOADER type tuneable under System->Tunables, with variable if_re_load and value YES, and then reboot.

If you are serving iSCSI, you'll need to get a different NIC, as the FreeBSD Realtek drivers are pitifully bad.

I will try this. This computer only backs up items from my main server.
I wish I saw this post sooner, I am trying the web upgrade to scale right now.
(When I try to install scale to usb drive or ssd drive the bios freezes once installed) Fun.

Oh, great news the upgrade to scale worked/booted up. Awesome.

Last edited:

Philip Robar

Contributor
Scale will not install on this motherboard, the board is too old, bios is newest.
What makes you think that Scale (i.e. Linux) won't install on your motherboard?

Philip Robar

Contributor
If you're not serving iSCSI on this board, you could follow the work-around in the release notes, and create a LOADER type tuneable under System->Tunables, with variable if_re_load and value YES, and then reboot.

If you are serving iSCSI, you'll need to get a different NIC, as the FreeBSD Realtek drivers are pitifully bad.
With the latest patch it's much better—at least performance wise.

I ended up using a ssd drive on that old motherboard. And it runs scale now and has been for a while now. I just use it for backup of my main server. I just actually updated to the new beta truenas as it is just a back up server.