TrueNAS 12.0-RELEASE and macOS

x130844

Dabbler
Support for AAPL SMB2 extensions is negotiated on first tree connect and most likely cached in the MacOS SMB client. After making these setting changes, you may need to reboot.

mDNS issue (if you are affected by it) can be resolved by running the command midclt call service.restart mdns. This should generate the service configs and reload avahi-daemon.

midclt call service.restart mdns
works but it looks like it has the same effect as restarting mDNS from the console.
And after a reboot, It still fails, I have to run the command again.
Do we know why this behavior has changed in TrueNAS compared to freenas?
One would think that if mDNS option is selected, that it'd work automatically upon start up.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
midclt call service.restart mdns
works but it looks like it has the same effect as restarting mDNS from the console.
And after a reboot, It still fails, I have to run the command again.
Do we know why this behavior has changed in TrueNAS compared to freenas?
One would think that if mDNS option is selected, that it'd work automatically upon start up.
It's a bug that affects some but not all people. Will be fixed in U1.

vertical

Dabbler
Sorry to bump this thread.

I have just now installed 12.0 U2. At least for me it does not solve the problem from my first post. I have no problems connecting manually to the shares with IP-number or dns name, preformance is good, Time Machine works, but the TrueNAS-server does not appear automatically in the Network folder.

I am debating with my self if I should reinstall TrueNAS 12 U2 from scratch if that could change something.. but I am a bit reluctant to do that.

What do you think?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sorry to bump this thread.

I have just now installed 12.0 U2. At least for me it does not solve the problem from my first post. I have no problems connecting manually to the shares with IP-number or dns name, preformance is good, Time Machine works, but the TrueNAS-server does not appear automatically in the Network folder.

I am debating with my self if I should reinstall TrueNAS 12 U2 from scratch if that could change something.. but I am a bit reluctant to do that.

What do you think?
There's an overall issue where jail / plugin restarts may break mDNS for the host (not always the case). I haven't had time to work on it yet, but you can try simply restarting avahi-daemon.

lukefong

Cadet
This file from this post worked perfectly: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-12-0-release-and-macos.88279/post-611803
There's an overall issue where jail / plugin restarts may break mDNS for the host (not always the case). I haven't had time to work on it yet, but you can try simply restarting avahi-daemon.
This file and instructions from this post worked perfectly: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-12-0-release-and-macos.88279/post-611803

vertical

Dabbler

Yes, I am very well aware of that file. You are, in fact, linking to the same post you are replying to.

I was under the assumption that U1 and later U2 would solve this issue without the need for the fix in that file.

Last edited:

vertical

Dabbler
But seriously..

Would a clean reinstall and then setting everything up from scratch have a chance of changeing any behavior here?

As I said, I am considering going down that path if it might clear some old cruft out of some important .conf file. I know migrations are not always easy to do and sometimes it would be better to set up a new system instead of upgrading. I have brought this installation along since FreeNAS 9. It might just be a good time to redo things now..

Last edited:

vertical

Dabbler
Just to report back.. I finally got around to install TrueNAS 12.0 U3, but the problem with the jail / plugin and mdns still persists for me.

I even did a clean reinstall of TrueNAS 12.0 U3, setting everything up from scratch again just to see if that changed anything. At first, the reinstall seemed to have solved the issue, with the shares happily showing up in the Finder every time I logged in to the Mac. But as soon as I installed the xmrig plugin, the shares stopped showing up in the Network tab in finder.

The only way I have found to reliably get TrueNAS to show up om my Mac is to disable the xmrig plugin.

I guess the bug still is not fully solved in U3 or I have a very strange configuration! ;-)

Regards
/ Fredrik

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The only way I have found to reliably get TrueNAS to show up om my Mac is to disable the xmrig plugin.
So the problem seems to lie with that particular plugin. I don't run that and I never had a problem "seeing" my NAS in the Finder.
I don't have the slightest idea, what that thing even does - so going to look that up, now. Perhaps I can come up with an idea, perhaps not :wink:

Edit - first idea: is that the only plugin you are running or are there more? Possibly you are facing a problem with the plugin subsystem in general. I don't run plugins, just standard jails ...

vertical

Dabbler
So the problem seems to lie with that particular plugin. I don't run that and I never had a problem "seeing" my NAS in the Finder.
I don't have the slightest idea, what that thing even does - so going to look that up, now. Perhaps I can come up with an idea, perhaps not :wink:

Edit - first idea: is that the only plugin you are running or are there more? Possibly you are facing a problem with the plugin subsystem in general. I don't run plugins, just standard jails ...

xmrig is a crypto currency miner that I use for an experiment. Nothing vital at all.

I am just glad that my narrow mind finally managed to connect the dots in this thread and read what was in plain sight. Plugins!! It is an easy fix to disable xmrig.

In the FreeNAS 11-days, when the xmrig plugin used to work with mdns, I also ran the emby plugin (media sreaming) but since TrueNAS 12, it has only been the xmrig. I have not tried to install any other plugin to see if that also breaks the mdns for me.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The plugin system does "weird things" with the FreeBSD firewall and NAT - another reason why I never bothered to use it. I like my jails connected to the regular network with their own IP address.

So if you have already opened an issue in JIRA, please report these findings. If not, then please create one.

vertical

Dabbler
The plugin system does "weird things" with the FreeBSD firewall and NAT - another reason why I never bothered to use it. I like my jails connected to the regular network with their own IP address.

So if you have already opened an issue in JIRA, please report these findings. If not, then please create one.

I have never opened an issue in JIRA. I have a user, but I have only uesd it for searching bug-reports.. Soo.. let´s try to report a bug then! :D

Edit - Here is a link to JIRA: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-110433

Please update it if you think it does not correctly reflect the issue.

Last edited: