TrueNAS 12.0-RELEASE and macOS

vertical

Dabbler
Hello

I have upgraded a FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS 12.0-RELEASE. Everything is working great and on my windows machines life is like normal and my SMB shares are advertised as expected in explorer. But om my Macs life is not as rosy. To get the SMB shares visible in macOS, I have to uncheck-save-recheck-save the mDNS-checkbox in Network / Global Configuration. That lasts for a while, but after an undetermined amount of time the shares becomes unreachable and disappears from finder. I can still connect to the server manually, but it would be nice to have it like before.

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
/ Fredrik

Last edited:

x130844

Dabbler
Same here, everything was perfect with freenas 11.x but since truenas12 upgrade , plenty of disconnects, half speed, not discovering truenas etc.
One thing I found was that NIC settings I had made on freenas were removed on 12.x. but even putting them back didn't fix my issues.

lukefong

Cadet
I have a FREENAS-MINI-2.0 in my production evirinment and after the upgrade from FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS 12.0-RELEASE, SMB shares visibilty in macOS is broken.

Please advise, as this affects my production enviroment.

Regards,

-LF

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I suggest that someone report the bug and respond with their bug ID so that resolution can be tracked.

volothamp

Explorer
So when dealing with macOS clients is it better to stick to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 ?

x130844

Dabbler
So when dealing with macOS clients is it better to stick to FreeNAS 11.3-U5 ?
for sure. until they fix it, which I'm sure they will shortly.

Although, the tickets opened, "Priority - Low" unsure how that was priority level was decided,
it's quite an important function for a file server to actually serve files.

Low priority would be a UI glitch for example.
or functionality to be added etc.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Generally speaking mDNS works. I have seen some issues where mDNS can be unstable on virtualized FreeBSD servers. Does it stay stable if your restart avahi-daemon? service avahi-daemon onerestart.

x130844

Dabbler
Generally speaking mDNS works. I have seen some issues where mDNS can be unstable on virtualized FreeBSD servers. Does it stay stable if your restart avahi-daemon? service avahi-daemon onerestart.

Does a whole server reboot basically accomplish the same thing as restarting that daemon? or does starting it manually do something different? If so, I can try. but full reboots. don't help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I did not notice any problem with Mac OS and I am running TN 12.0 release.
Since I noticed something really odd concerning my config, I started a new thread, but you can find my configuration here for comparison:

HTH,
Patrick

x130844

Dabbler
My config is very different than yours.

[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
enable web service discovery = Yes
kernel change notify = No
load printers = No
logging = file
map to guest = Bad User
max log size = 51200
netbios aliases = netalias
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
registry shares = Yes
server role = standalone server
server string = TrueNAS Server
unix extensions = No
fruit:aapl = yes
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
fruit:nfs_aces = yes
idmap config * : backend = tdb
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes

[Time-Machine]
ea support = No
kernel share modes = No
path = /mnt/myPool/timemachinedataset
posix locking = No
read only = No
vfs objects = aio_fbsd fruit streams_xattr ixnas
fruit:locking = none
fruit:time machine = yes
fruit:resource = stream
fruit:metadata = stream
nfs4:chown = true

[Eric-Files]
ea support = No
kernel share modes = No
path = /mnt/myPool/ericsdataset
posix locking = No
read only = No
vfs objects = aio_fbsd fruit streams_xattr ixnas
fruit:resource = stream
fruit:metadata = stream
nfs4:chown = true

lukefong

Cadet
So when dealing with macOS clients, is it better to stick to FreeNAS 11.3-U5?
Yes!

I bought 3 certified FreeNAS servers from iXsystems a couple of years ago. Thank God only one of the three is broken from the upgrade to TRUENAS-12.0 the other two WILL REMAIN AT 11.3-U5 until iXsystems get their act together.

Furthermore, I am watching to see how quickly they respond to resolving this issue as this will be the deciding factor when considering purchasing any of their Enterprise TrueNAS products in the future.

I am of the impression that iXsystems is copying the Quality Assurance (QA ) model of other manufacturers in that they release a half-baked product to check a box or meet a deadline and then use their customers as the QA. I won't tolerate that for my production environment.

I do not have this challenge with NETAGATE, who are the makers of pfSense which incidentally is built on the very same FreeBSD foundation.

JaimieV

Guru
Huh. And here was I going to complain of having to restart smbd in 11.3u5 because it keeps stopping advertising the shares to my Macs...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Attached is WIP fix for issue with mDNS failing to "start" on boot in TrueNAS 12.0-RELEASE. I was able to reproduce on one of my servers (doesn't occur on all of them).

1. Clone boot environment for backup.
2. Extract file
3. Copy to /usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/etc_files/local/avahi/ (replacing existing copy -- maybe make a backup of original)
4. Run command "service middlewared onerestart".
5. rm /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/*
6. Run command "midclt call etc.generate mdns"
7. ls -l /usr/local/etc/avahi/services/ and verify that service files were generated
8. reboot

Attachments

• avahi_services.py.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 208

EtienneB

Explorer
I am running 2 macbooks, a 2011 with High Sierra and a 2018 with Catalina.
I noticed that I lose the SMB connections to my Time machine shares to these Macs under TN 12. It worked fine under 11.3.
When I start playing around with the aux parameters and the SMB2/3 handler I seem to get it working on my Macbook 2018 but then I loose connection on my Macbook 2011. The 2011 currently can't even detect the Time_machine share. Looks like no broadcast?

Somehow permissions are no longer stable it seems as a manual mount on the Mac 2011 gives a network denied error but only for the time_machine share. It made a backup just fine yesterday, but no longer today. Hopefully a fix can be released soon.

Under Services - SMB I have:
vfs objects = zfs_space zfs_acl streams_xattr

and under TimeMachine share I have:
fruit:time machine max size = 4000 G

I can't go back to 11.3 due to a ZFS pool upgrade already done.......

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am running 2 macbooks, a 2011 with High Sierra and a 2018 with Catalina.
I noticed that I lose the SMB connections to my Time machine shares to these Macs under TN 12. It worked fine under 11.3.
When I start playing around with the aux parameters and the SMB2/3 handler I seem to get it working on my Macbook 2018 but then I loose connection on my Macbook 2011. The 2011 currently can't even detect the Time_machine share. Looks like no broadcast?

Somehow permissions are no longer stable it seems as a manual mount on the Mac 2011 gives a network denied error but only for the time_machine share. It made a backup just fine yesterday, but no longer today. Hopefully a fix can be released soon.

Under Services - SMB I have:

and under TimeMachine share I have:
fruit:time machine max size = 4000 G

I can't go back to 11.3 due to a ZFS pool upgrade already done.......

This is probably the problem. No fruit. Support for AAPL extensions is performed on first tree-connect. Try removing the aux parameters for the SMB share.

EtienneB

Explorer

This is probably the problem. No fruit. Support for AAPL extensions is performed on first tree-connect. Try removing the aux parameters for the SMB share.

Thanks. Do you suggest I add fruit also to the general SMB service?
I have removed the vfs objects, like yesterday, and then the 2011 macbook works fine.
I will test again with the 2018 tonight, but after the removal of the "vfs objects" yesterday, the 2018 refused the timemachine this morning.......

EtienneB

Explorer
Might it be that the DNS/name server service is not working stable? My time machine is now recognized with its ip address, that used to be freenas.local....
Under Network Global Configuration i do see the mDNS, WS-Discovery and Netbios-NS were/are all enabled.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Support for AAPL SMB2 extensions is negotiated on first tree connect and most likely cached in the MacOS SMB client. After making these setting changes, you may need to reboot.

mDNS issue (if you are affected by it) can be resolved by running the command midclt call service.restart mdns. This should generate the service configs and reload avahi-daemon.