Advertise smb and afp as separate servers on TrueNAS 12.0 for MacOS clients

b88

Dabbler
Before updating to TrueNAS 12.0 I had set a custom netbios name for the smb service, which meant that all macos clients saw MY_NAS_SMB and could browse all smb shares, as well as MY_NAS (hostname) where you could browse all afp shares.

After the update I noticed that only the smb service got advertised in macos as MY_NAS, and MY_NAS_SMB never showed up (sometimes it does but after a long time). This means the afp shares were no longer browsable in finder (except through "connect to server" in finder). If I turn the smb service off, the afp shares are advertised under MY_NAS.

I found network->global configuration->mDNS, which seems to have something to do with this new behavior. If enabled, smb shares are advertised as both MY_NAS and MY_NAS_SMB. If disabled only MY_NAS_SMB is advertised (sometimes).

I know that apple will drop afp, but as of writing this, the protocol is faster and more stable. The reason I also need smb, is that some shares are accessed by devices that do not support afp.

So to sum up, how can I advertise smb and afp services separately, e.g. MY_NAS (or MY_NAS_AFP) and MY_NAS_SMB?

System: TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1