Trouble updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I am currently running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027 and I attempted to update to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201504152200 using the GUI. Everything seemed to download alright and the computer was rebooted. Upon rebooting to the updated version, I get dumped out to the mountroot prompt. I am getting an error when enumerating the USB devices. The error is:

Code:
usb_alloc_device: set address 3 failed (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

Does anyone know how to proceed? I tried to increase kFreeBSD.kern.cam.boot_delay, but it still fails. I am still able to reboot into the older version.

My motherboard is a SuperMicro X10SLM-F and I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3 flash drive for my boot device. I also tried it in a USB 2 port and I experience the same issue. Attached are 2 screenshots of the errors.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 213
  • mountroot.jpg
    mountroot.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 191

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"UTSL!"

.... an opportunity to say that cannot be missed. But if you're not actually up to debugging USB3 compatibility issues, I suggest a USB2 thumb drive and a USB2 port.

"UTSL!"

.... an opportunity to say that cannot be missed. But if you're not actually up to debugging USB3 compatibility issues, I suggest a USB2 thumb drive and a USB2 port.

Funny. But my issue is why did the install work properly and I am still able to boot the initial install version. It's the update that's dumping me to the mountroot prompt. I've tried it in a USB2 port and even disabling XHCI in the BIOS and still have the problem.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Did you try it on a USB2 thumb drive on a USB2 port, or did you just plug your existing USB3 thumb drive on a USB2 port?

The latest I recall is that both can be problematic.

CSP-on-FN

Dabbler
Hello.
(....) and I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3 flash drive for my boot device. (....)

In case it's any help (although this note might not be relevant to your query Luke) I've been using - trouble-free for a few days now - a pair of these SanDisk Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3 flash drives, mirrored as a dedicated System Dataset Volume, plugged into adjacent USB 3.0 ports on my Intel motherboard (see my spec's).

I haven't made any changes in my BIOS for these USB 3.0 ports (I have not disabled XHCI in the BIOS) so the hardware is offering "USB 3.0" speeds etc., but (apparently) USB 3.0 support is OFF by default in FreeNAS v9.3 anyway, , so I've been content that these ports are actually operating at USB 2.0 speeds for now.

As I'm a newbie on FreeNAS I can't (just now) offer any neat, revealing Shell/CLI results that might tell us/me more about how FreeNAS is "seeing" these USB 3.0 devices while they're plugged into USB 3.0-capable ports, but I'd welcome any suggestions if more details would add anything to your diagnosis 'Luke'.

Colin P.

Edited to add: I'm running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505010007
Colin P.

Last edited:
Well, I can't understand why the update fails to boot. I'll just forgo any updates and keep running what I have installed for now. The only other issue I'm having is with the Emby plugin not working, which is occurring on both my FreeNAS servers.

Edit:
I manually uploaded the previous version (3.0.5582.4) of the Emby PBI and it works fine. So something isn't kosher with 3.0.5597.1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.