usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhojmit

Cadet
Hello - When I go into FreeNAS, I find pages of error code. I tried re-installing onto a new memory stick but still the error messages persist. I'm very new to this so I apologise up front if I've not provided enough information.

Build is FreeNAS-11.1-U5
Motherboard: Dell Inc. ODR845 (CPU)
CPU: Intell Pentium E5400 @ 2.70GHZ
RAM: 8.00GB
Memory Stick: 16GB Sandisk Cruzer

I'm using 3 x 2TB Seagate external HDD for storage - all new.

Code:
freenas.local kernel log messages:
> usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
> usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
> usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
> usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
> ugen0.2: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
> uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
> usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
> ugen0.2: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
> uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

-- End of security output --

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
Either your USB drive or the USB port is funky. It's far more likely it's the USB drive, but you might as well try using another USB port.

It looks like you either unplugged and replugged the USB drive halfway through the log, or it stopped communicating with the system. You might try ordering a second USB drive as well; even the name brand ones can misbehave from time to time.

nhojmit

Cadet
Either your USB drive or the USB port is funky. It's far more likely it's the USB drive, but you might as well try using another USB port.

It looks like you either unplugged and replugged the USB drive halfway through the log, or it stopped communicating with the system. You might try ordering a second USB drive as well; even the name brand ones can misbehave from time to time.

Thanks for that jro. I'll follow your advice!

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Forgive my ignorance but what does "backing a vdev" mean?
A "vdev" is the pieces that make up your ZFS pool, such as a "mirror" or "RAIDZ2" for example.

Are you using external USB drives as the primary storage, and not just to boot from?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes and thanks for you patience.
That's very, very far outside the recommended hardware solution. USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbps per controller, versus SATA3 which is rated for 6Gbps per device. It also consumes CPU time and is considered much less stable than SATA/SAS.

I would suggest either returning those drives and purchasing regular internal ones that will be attached via SATA, or removing them from their enclosures.

Either way, I would not consider what you have as a stable solution or well matched for ZFS.

nhojmit

Cadet
That's very, very far outside the recommended hardware solution. USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbps per controller, versus SATA3 which is rated for 6Gbps per device. It also consumes CPU time and is considered much less stable than SATA/SAS.

I would suggest either returning those drives and purchasing regular internal ones that will be attached via SATA, or removing them from their enclosures.

Either way, I would not consider what you have as a stable solution or well matched for ZFS.
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.