Not open for further replies.

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
Hello,

Here's my setup:

FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x86 (ddd1e39)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
1993MB

(If I'm missing some other needed info, please let me know).

I'm attempting to connect a LACIE USB HDD (https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10518) to my NAS. I'm getting the following:

usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
ugen6.2: <Unknown> at usbus6 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

I've tried other LACIE drives I have (same model) and all the different USB plugs on the NAS. Always the same thing.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Ryan

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Please familiarize yourself with FreeNAS' minimum system requirements. You do not meet them and as of 9.3 you will need a 64-bit installation.

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

I've surely missed something, as I'm failing to see what requirement I did not meet. I've got 2GB of RAM (well, short 7MB) and am using UFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And the manual recommended 3GB for UFS.

And you may or may not know this, but 9.3 will be ZFS only and the requirement will be 8GB of RAM at that point. :P

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
And thanks for the heads-up on 9.3. Unfortunately, I'm on a super-tight budget and getting a newer machine is not in the cars at this point.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, the PDF is behind. Check out the wiki page and you'll see the requirements were updated to be more in-line with 9.x. Too many people were experiencing sudden unexpected total data loss, so we had to up the requirements.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be honest, if you are on a super tight budget then FreeNAS probably isn't for you. It need server-grade hardware, plenty of RAM, etc. FreeNAS is NOT the project it used to be, and it is NOT designed to let you reuse that old POS in your closet.

Additionally, USB is NOT reliable and NOT recommended for long-term use.

So you may want to find another OS that is more inline with your expectations. ;)

Ryan Bannon

Cadet
Ah, ok. Thanks. I'll do my best to scrounge up some extra RAM before posting again (unless I abandon FreeNAS).

Again, many thanks.

Ryan

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Just to comment on the original question, Ryan, let me just reiterate that regardless of how well or poorly configured your system is, an external USB hard drive is thermonuclearly discouraged from use in FreeNAS. If it can be mounted read-only, just to get data from it to the pool one time, then that's less bad, but still not good. But that's just about the only case that you'll even want to consider with an external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.