Trouble opening FAMP Server to Public Internet

Ukhupacha

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm using TrueNAS Core 12.0-U8 and I have installed the FAMP jail plugin to host a wordpresss website.
I used the steps described here Wordpress with FAMP stack and they worked nicely.

I can see my page from my internal network but not from the public internet. My router is configured for port 80.

It seems that is related to these post FAMP STACK1, FAMP STACK2 but on those posts there is no answer either.

Hopefully someone can help me here.
If you need more details of the configuration let me know.

Kindly,

Ukhu

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It's a wordpress configuration issue. You'll have to change your site URL address in the general settings in the wordpress admin panel to.

Ukhupacha

Cadet
It's a wordpress configuration issue. You'll have to change your site URL address in the general settings in the wordpress admin panel to.
Hello Jailer, thanks for the reply but sadly it wasn't that.
The problem wast with certbot, it was not redirecting the https traffic.

I used this guide to correct it Certbot Freebsd

Thanks a lot

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I am looking for some guidance. I would like to host a family genealogy site on my TRUENAS server. I see the posts about not trying to use the mail server part of the FAMP stack, because of security challenges. I am just trying to host this program and navigate through the GEDCOM genealogy file. This is the program I would like to use. https://webtrees.net/install/ Will I end up regretting trying to keep the wolves from the door?

The FAMP install guide is 7 years old, is it current enough?
https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ache-mysql-and-php-famp-stack-on-freebsd-10-1
What is the equivalent of "hello world" for the Stack. Below is the kind of files that can be generated. (Obviously this is the demo tree, not my family)

Installation is described here to describe the dependencies.

2022-08-23.png

Installation steps​

• Check the version of PHP on your server.
  • For PHP 8.0 and later, download webtrees-2.1.7.zip.
  • For PHP 7.1 to 7.4, download webtrees-2.0.25.zip.
  • Unpack this file on your computer. You should have a folder called webtrees.
  • Upload the contents of the webtrees folder to a folder on your web server.
  • Visit your site in your web-browser, and follow the instructions.
  • After the installation is complete, you will be prompted to create or import your first family tree.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're going to have to do your own research on how to configure and harden both php and apache against most known common attacks. That tutorial you linked to shows you how to get it running. Getting a FAMP or FEMP stack up and running is one thing, having secure from attacks is quite another.

Last edited:

ZiggyGT

Contributor

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I prefer Core because I like FreeBSD and prefer to use jails. It's totally a personal preference what you decide to go with.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you want to install something that's already packaged as an app for SCALE (or that you expect to be), and the configuration of that app is suitable for you, that's going to be the easier way to go--do not plan to use plugins in CORE. But if you're needing/wanting to set up your own custom software, either a jail in CORE or a VM in either of them would be the way to go.

ZiggyGT

Contributor
I rummaged around and did not see a FAMP/FEMP package for either Core or Scale. This is a new build, not yet my main server. I downloaded both versions of TRUENA and will doing the Scale install first to try it out. One key is support for the Melanox 10Gb card support. That has worked well in FREENAS but not sure of support in Scale. I have used the bridge to make my FREENAS system a switch with multiple 10Gb cards. My system will be used as local file store between the targets in my home, most with 10Gb links, a Plex server with 3 users and this idea to use the 24/7 uptime to host my family Genealogy stuff. The security issues are a new learning experience for me.

Instead of using the TRUENAS xxxx machine to host the Genealogy stuff, I was thinking a separate machine with the web services but keep the data on TRUENAS xxxx. It looks like it will be simpler to bring up, I think I can find a distro that has it already to go. Perhaps this can be a start on my learning journey. I like the idea of just bashing the VM running the app and installing a fresh new image if security gets boluxed, I am not sure it will be that easy on the standalone.

I am currently using the plugin in a FREENAS machine. it runs flawlessly but the Jail/plugin keeps stopping on the TRUENAS CORE machine I am rebuilding. Have you found the Jail in CORE is more reliable that the plugin?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't use plugins. Everything I have running is in a standard jail and installed manually.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I rummaged around and did not see a FAMP/FEMP package for either Core or Scale.
And what exactly do you expect that to be?

Create empty jail, then:
Code:
pkg install apache24
pkg install mariadb105-server
pkg install php81

Voila! FAMP server.

danb35

Hall of Famer