Webserver Hosting (FAMP stack) within FreeNAS (advice please)

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi All

I've been playing around with a webserver Jail using a FAMP stack, and it seems to work OK :) However, I'm toying with the idea to move my website (very basic html site with low traffic) from offsite hosting to self-hosting on the FreeNAS server (basically to save some money).

I can setup a dynamic DNS to point to my home IP, and can route the traffic via my router to the Jails IP. However, I was wondering if anyone has any pointers regarding Do's, Dont's, Pitfalls, Security etc.?

I also want to look at hosting my domain email within a Jail as well and need to look into that next, if anyone has any pointers.

Yours
Jonathan

seanm

Guru
I'm playing with doing the same, but at work, not home.

The usual security precautions apply regardless of OS/hardware. You'll probably want a firewall for example!

And keep on top of security updates of your software and OS.

guermantes

Patron
Hosting you own mail can be risky I have heard. Unless you get it right the first time you may end up being blacklisted by major internet nodes as a spam sender basically shutting you out. And they say those blacklists are difficult to get removed from.

Hazimil

Contributor
Hosting you own mail can be risky I have heard. Unless you get it right the first time you may end up being blacklisted by major internet nodes as a spam sender basically shutting you out. And they say those blacklists are difficult to get removed from.
Good point, thanks.

Jonathan

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Going to second this one. Unless you know what you are doing leave this one up to the hosting companies.

As far as hosting your own web server the typical advice applies. Do your research and make sure you have your installation hardened against known attack vectors.

seanm

Guru
I've run our self-hosted mail server where I work for many years (though not via FreeNAS), and it's not as hard as many people claim. There have been a handful of false positive spam issues over the years, but nothing crazy, and nothing unsolvable. Either I've been very lucky, or the people claiming it's so hard haven't actually tried.