Strange behavior/failure of webserver within VM

mbe9a

Cadet
I'm new to FreeNAS and recently built a basic system.
  • freebsd-version: 11.2-STABLE (64-bit)
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7800X CPU @ 3.50GHz -- overkill, I know
  • 16 GB RAM DDR4 2400
  • MOBO: ASUS Prime X299-A LGA2066
  • OS Drive: 120 GB SSD
  • RAID-Z2
    • 5 HDD's
    • 1 TB each
    • pool size: 2.5 TB

I am also trying to deploy my personal website on the same hardware since that would be very convenient. I decided to go with an Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS VM install with LAMP stack. I tried using a jail at first, but I don't mind dedicating a significant amount of resources to the VM since it seems to be easier to deploy a working LAMP stack. I set it up with 1 Virtual CPU and 4GB RAM. At first glance everything works well and as expected.

The problem is that after running unattended for a few days, the apache server eventually stops working (the webpage is unreachable from client devices). When I check the FreeNAS admin page, the VM is still running and fine; however, the webserver only starts to work again when I log in to the VM through VNC. Any ideas? I know this is probably a difficult problem to solve and I haven't defined the problem well, but if you have any comments/questions/suggestions please let me know!

mbe9a

Cadet
Update: I devoted more Virtual CPUs to the VM and so far so good. Still seems like strange behavior, but if this fixes it that’s ok with me.