Can't access jail from the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
Hello everyone, I recently reinstalled FreeNAS from scratch after my motherboard failed. I'm sure there were better options, but there wasn't much on the server other than my teamspeak server.

While I was waiting for a replacement motherboard to show up I installed TS server on my Windows desktop and changed my port forwarding settings to accommodate.

The new motherboard came in and after installing Freenas 9.3 (same version as before) I created a jail and gave it an IP (xxx.30) on my network, and installed a Teamspeak Server in that jail, like I had done previously on my original FreeNAS installation. Everything seemed to be running smoothly. I was able to connect to and configure my TS server within my network from my windows client. I changed my port forwarding settings to point back to my jail thinking that the job was done, which is where my problems start - I can no longer connect to my TeamSpeak server from the internet. Everything still works within my LAN it is just not accessable over the net.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Disabled firewall on router - Unsuccessful
Disabled firewall on client PC - Unsuccessful
Double checked port forwarding settings - Set Correctly
Ping my public IP address from within the jail - Successful
Ping internet from within the jail - Successful (pinged google.com)
Ping my client from within jail - Successful
Ping jail from within client - Successful
Checked Default Gateway for jail - points at router xxx.1
Ping my web address to check DDNS function - ping returns my public IP properly
Try to access TS server using DDNS address - Unsuccessful
Try to access TS server using static IP - Unsuccessful

One test that I found strange is I used advanced IP scanner to see if my jail would show up on the network, which it does, but instead of the hostname being "Teamspeak" (which is the name of the jail) the hostname is "NAS" which is the hostname of the FreeNAS install. In fact I can access the FreeNAS gui by navigating to the jail IP address. I can also access my windows share through the jail IP address, which seems really fishy to me especially considering it's in a completely different dataset. My jail used to show up with the name Teamspeak on the network, and it was never browseable through windows file sharing before. I was under the impression that jails are supposed to be independent of the rest of the OS normally, so I think the problem is related to this.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to have this server back up and running by this afternoon if at possible.

Last edited:

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
One more thing! I believe that when I created the Teamspeak jail last time, the OS gave the jail it's own MAC address. This time around the mac address matches one of the NICs on the server. Perhaps this is related? How would I change this?

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
I just switched my port forwarding to point back to my desktop TS server, and had a friend log into my TS server successfully using my DDNS hostname. This proves that the issue is not in my router or DDNS, but somewhere in my FreeNAS box.

By my own humble estimation, when I forward ports to xxx.30 i am forwarding to the main Freenas OS, rather than my TS jail, which is why i am unable to connect.

I took a screenshot through IPMI which shows that xxx.30 is now a url to be used as a web interface.

Thanks in advance to the saint who helps me correct this issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-10 11.14.03.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-10 11.14.03.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 257

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like you may want to set the IP address of the TS jail to a static IP outside the DHCP range to avoid an IP conflict like this in the future. Just a suggestion.

Happymanny1986

Dabbler
Sounds like you may want to set the IP address of the TS jail to a static IP outside the DHCP range to avoid an IP conflict like this in the future. Just a suggestion.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. My network DHCP range is xxx.100-.254. I set the 2 interfaces for FreeNAS to be static (Actually the 2nd interface is a DHCP reservation for xxx.95 tied to the MAC address for that NIC). When I created the jail, I manually gave it the IP 192.168.1.30 to keep it out of DHCP. Now that you mention it though, I think I'm going to enable DHCP on the jail to see if I can get the router to assign it an IP automatically.

Fish

Contributor
If you wanted to be really sure to avoid an IP conflict, do a DHCP reservation on the router. You just tell it what MAC address gets what IP and then you can set everything to DHCP and they'll all pull the correct addresses every time.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you wanted to be really sure to avoid an IP conflict, do a DHCP reservation on the router.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. You can assign any IP you want to the jail but that doesn't mean it will get resolved by your router.

Status
Not open for further replies.